Best chainsaw pants

JTSpear

I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere but I got tired of looking for it... So I'm thinking about getting a pair of saw pants, I tried the Kriegers at expo and they felt good, not cheap. What are your favorites? I've kind of come to the conclusion that I may as well spend the money and get the best, most comfortable ones so that I will actually want to wear them. suggestions would be much appreciated.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about the "best".
Best protection (Front & back; pretty clunky), Best for climbing (not as much protection), etc.

I have 4 pair of chainsaw pants.
1. Canadian Pfanner Gladiators; 2. US Pfanner Gladiators; and 3. an "off brand".

My last pair, 4. Pfanner Ventilation Chainsaw Pants are by far the most comfortable.
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=34&item=8010#

Just FYI
I also recently bought a pair of Arborwear RAC Chaps w/ the Calf Wrap Feature.
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=34&item=15167

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK

I am just a rec climber, at best.

Actually, I had a stoke several years ago & haven't climbed in a while; but fully intend to get back up into the trees again. I do still volunteer at lots of TCC's.
I do cut all my own firewood, for 80-90% of my heat in NE Ohio. (Chardon is the snow capital of OH)

Again, "best chainsaw pants" infers some "reference" point(s).

"Best" .............. ?
I have never "tested" my own chaps or pants.

I have chipped a boot; but not my foot.

I have witnessed a demo, with chaps that "failed" IMO.
They were cut thru, in extreme conditions.

A 2nd test w/ different chaps, passed the initial test; but the chainsaw ran down the chap to the exposed ankle area.
i.e. you need ankle & calf protection; plus chainsaw boots.

My point is, buy the most protection that you can work with, live with, and afford !

I am fortunate enough to afford the best.

The BEST info: Be Safe, Pay Attention, Do Not Get Complacent.

JTSpear

In all honesty I didn't own a pair of chaps for the first 5 years of my career. I now wear them religiously but I HATE them in the heat (I know I'm beating a dead horse). I in no way think I am impervious to a chainsaw but I think I would prefer comfort over the more comprehensive protection, if that is a choice to be made. "best" to me means most comfortable, cool, and durable.

The pfanner vents are the best saw pants that I have owned and I've tried quite a few different ones. I wear saw pants everyday from the cold months to the stupid hot days of summer. I'm on my second full season of the pfanners and although i have a few other pairs that I cycle through I can tell that they will last the longest. The material is bombproof and they have a gusseted crotch which is key for climbing. On the hot days its nice to be able to open the vents on the back of your legs, they are still hot but it keeps a bit of air moving. Also I think my favourite thing about the pfanners is the built in gaiters. No more saw dust in the boots!

JontreeHI

The vents are good, I also really like the arbortec breathe flex. They move really well climbing, and give better than average airflow (gas exchange)

Planner Ventilations - I wore them year round in Philadelphia for 18 months straight, usually 6 days a week. One pair. (You heard me).

The knees on my pair are smoked by now, but Mr. Luke Dunlevy carries the fabric for mending holes and such - you can buy it at Treestuff.com

Pelorus

Planners. I like muchly.
nb. although the material is really tough, it burns / melts.
Learned this the hard, er, hot way when I made the mistake of blowing the chipper off while handholding the backpack blower. (instead of putting it on). Hot exhaust + Gladiators = hole in Glad.

123Craig

http://www.abbeypro.co.uk/chainsaw-clothing/sip-freedom-progress-and-ultra/showitem-WW-1SNA.aspx

The above (I think they're called SIP Progress) is the best I've worn - only breaking them in just now - they feel amazing. They're going to be my 'summer' pants.

Never tried pfanner - was put off by the supposed tightness around the thigh area.

I also have the following (anyone want to buy some saw protection?);

Stihl Chaps - Great - though can't always climb in them. Try and wear these as much as possible in summer - so far it beats every saw pant for ventilation. I put a hole in from an exhuast too.

Francital Everest's - They're good, but do rip (with small nicks from brush (whatever) - just small tears (if you can notice them), but small tears can lead to bigger tears; you have to keep up with the sewing. Bit too warm for summer. Feel real comfy. Look badass. Mid-budget choice.

Logger King Saw Pants - Hard wearing, heavy duty. Great for winter. You can climb in them - though they are not that flexible, and the crotch will probably tear out. Back on the sewing again. The best for on the ground in winter.

Viltom Raptor Saw Pant - Thick, quite heavy duty outer material - probably very hard wearing pant. Haven't worn them too much yet - they're heavier than the others (and much warmer + thicker) - they'll probably take a real beating, and be unlikely to tear. They'll be my winter climbing pant.

I didn't want to buy so much saw protection but each one had it's slight fault. For me right now - SIP Progress is the best all round. It's always going to be a slight compromise depending on the environment you're working in.

Good luck!

Last edited:

monkeylove

JT I got the same pair while I was at the show going on Reg's recommendation, so far I can't complain about them at all. Very comfortable and seem to breath well, now of course they have not seen summer yet but are any chainsaw pants like wearing shorts.

macswan

I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere but I got tired of looking for it... So I'm thinking about getting a pair of saw pants, I tried the Kriegers at expo and they felt good, not cheap. What are your favorites? I've kind of come to the conclusion that I may as well spend the money and get the best, most comfortable ones so that I will actually want to wear them. suggestions would be much appreciated.
Arbortec, hands down. They make a great pair of boots too.

Available thru shelter tree in Mass.

http://www.sheltertree.com/ecom/product/66/571/

123Craig

Was gonna get the arbortec - but didn't want a luminous crotch... :)

Every time I put on the SIP's a workmate starts singing the spiderman theme song (cos they're red) - implies that I'm a way better climber than I am. :sorprendido3:

Last edited:
The arbortecs are nice pants for sure but the material isn't quite as rugged as the pfanners. I've already got a hole in my arbortecs from catching them on a stub while climbing.