Beginner climbing gear?

B_Strange

Getting out is easy. Open up legs first all the way. Then the waist. drop and step out.
Got it. Forgive a newbie question: is there an easier way to open up the buckle then just pulling and tugging on the webbing until you get a loop started? I really like the saddle and if I could figure this out it would be way easier.

B_Strange

Get 2 cubes and 2 lines with 6 weights......2 10ozs... 2 12ozs.... 2 24ozs..... Buy falteimer cubes only. You will still own them 15 years from now. Buy a Treemotion light all from Wesspur. Get 200' of Calamine from Sherrill. Buy a hitchclimber and 6 CT ovals from treestuff….. get a pinto pulley. Buy A CTquick step foot ascender and a SAKA mini from wesspur. Buy a Kask helmet. Get a lanyard made from Wesspur 10' long with sewn eyes and a edelrid aliuminium rope snap on one end. Use Yale R.I.N.G for the lanyard. Buy four prussic cords 3 28" 9.3 epicord with sewn eyes then a 20" handspliced HRC for lanyard. All these from wesspur. Get a ropewrench with an @HEIGHT shorty double leg tether ( special order item ) from wesspur. This will be the best investment ever. And your will save yourself a lot of headache. Put it on your credit card and pay a bit every month til it is gone. Thank me later. PM me with your questions on hitch setup of adjusting harness for sweet spot and adjusting your SAKA mini. I will help. DO NOT BUT CHEAP CLIMBING GEAR..... oh yeah get a Fimbl Saver 1.25 Length... those might be 1.5 length......
+1 on not buying cheap climbing gear. I made the mistake of buying a Stein knee ascender instead of a SAKA mini.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
+1 on not buying cheap climbing gear. I made the mistake of buying a Stein knee ascender instead of a SAKA mini.
Everything I told bruv to buy will last him a good while rec climbing....Most should be going strong for 10 years.....

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Got it. Forgive a newbie question: is there an easier way to open up the buckle then just pulling and tugging on the webbing until you get a loop started? I really like the saddle and if I could figure this out it would be way easier.
I do not own one but had an earlier model SRT sequoia years ago. Same gig. Keep those buckles clean and free from sweat buildup. you must manipulate them often with saddle off when new...that allows webbing to sort of soften up and make buckles function better....nothing worse than sweaty webbing building corrosion and hardening webbing....warm soapy water very diluted also helps....wash off thoroughly.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I took the goofy little elastic tab things off. You just kind of slide under the buckle with one hand and pull the webbing the other way. It becomes second nature quickly.
The elastic things make it all much harder.

B_Strange

I do not own one but had an earlier model SRT sequoia years ago. Same gig. Keep those buckles clean and free from sweat buildup. you must manipulate them often with saddle off when new...that allows webbing to sort of soften up and make buckles function better....nothing worse than sweaty webbing building corrosion and hardening webbing....warm soapy water very diluted also helps....wash off thoroughly.
Cool. Thanks! I’ll try that. Appreciate your list as well. I just got a ZK-2 rope wrench today per your suggestion to use with the Calamine I got. Taking the wrench for it’s first climb tomorrow.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
28" epicord sewn eyes. Wesspur plus a shorty @height double leg tether 35bucks wesspur specisl order call Ardie say Paul from Barbados sent you. It is stiffened with an extra layer of heatshrink. 3.5 wrap michoacan....

B_Strange

28" epicord sewn eyes. Wesspur plus a shorty @height double leg tether 35bucks wesspur specisl order call Ardie say Paul from Barbados sent you. It is stiffened with an extra layer of heatshrink. 3.5 wrap michoacan....
Ok! I need a new hitch cord soon and i’ll Pick up the short tether too. I’m using a 4/3 VT right now. I’ll try the michoacan this weekend when I take my daughter climbing.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Ok! I need a new hitch cord soon and i’ll Pick up the short tether too. I’m using a 4/3 VT right now. I’ll try the michoacan this weekend when I take my daughter climbing.
I was on a 3/3 VT for a century. Great hitch but useless with a shorty. I own 4 types of hitchcord at the moment the two best are 28" epi 9.3 or 10 Armorprus. Both kick it on 11.7s....

Birdyman88

Ditto on Wesspur.

Also, not sure how fast you want to go amd what your ultimate goal is. But buying stuff separately is a huge time consumer. But, you sure can learn a lot about equipment if you do decide to do it that way. You will have dimensions, break strengths, manufacturer, color options, temperature data, and every other spec memorized. That can be helpful at times.

Last edited:

B_Strange

What do you guys like about the Kask? The inner padding sure pooks nice, but it also looks like far less ventilation than Petzl helmets. I could be wrong, I've never worn a Kask.
I’ve only worn a Kask and found it to be very comfortable. I got my oldest daughter a Super Plasma when she started helping me in the ground and she wears it all day and says it is comfy. It adjusts well.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
What do you guys like about the Kask? The inner padding sure pooks nice, but it also looks like far less ventilation than Petzl helmets. I could be wrong, I've never worn a Kask.
They're very comfortable and not overwhelmingly hot. I like them better than everything but the protos (I've only tried 4)
My two complaints are that they get funkier than the CT, vertex, and protos, and if you are hot and sweaty and take it off at lunch or something, when it sits upside down the sweat drains into the hat so that when you put it back on, cold sweat dumps all over your face.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I have had a protos ...vertex vents....alveo vents and kasks. Kask are by far superior. Their comfort and fit are bomber. Not too hot and the padding is washable. You have to maintain your helmet. It is not wear and never look back. It must not live in a gear bag. Same for harness. Petzl are a cheap build but light and the most ventilation. Protos is heavy and plain junk. Overpriced with crap muffs.

oldoakman

I’ve only worn a Kask and found it to be very comfortable. I got my oldest daughter a Super Plasma when she started helping me in the ground and she wears it all day and says it is comfy. It adjusts well.
Ditto on the Kask lid. I also wear a Halo skull cap with it. Keeps hair oil from mucking up the padding and the sweat gutter keeps sweat off my glasses and out of my eyes. Works better than a buff.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I have had a protos ...vertex vents....alveo vents and kasks. Kask are by far superior. Their comfort and fit are bomber. Not too hot and the padding is washable. You have to maintain your helmet. It is not wear and never look back. It must not live in a gear bag. Same for harness. Petzl are a cheap build but light and the most ventilation. Protos is heavy and plain junk. Overpriced with crap muffs.
We can definitely agree on the overpriced part. The muffs aren't the best, but they are definitely the least inconvenient.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
We can definitely agree on the overpriced part. The muffs aren't the best, but they are definitely the least inconvenient.
I wear my muffs on my ears all day. Take off one once in a while. Hate outside noise. I also use MSA muffs. Tried them all. Peltor and 3m. MSA just seal better and fit nice. Will not use any other helmet or muffs. Loads of wasted money.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
When you're getting way out there, a twig in your muff support stuff really throws off your groove. Especially if it breaks a sena wire and kills the music.
Speaking of throwing off grooves, I just handled a 2511 for the first time. I think I will be carrying a chainsaw on more prunes.