Beech Tree leaves dying

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently we need to register for this Beech Leaf Disease Workshop.

"This is a targeted workshop for state and federal agencies and professionals in the field. Registration is required and space is limited due to room capacity!"

Constance E. Hausman, Ph.D.
Plant and Restoration Ecologist
(440) 253-2164
(440) 537-1108 (cell)
clevelandmetroparks.com

ceh@clevelandmetroparks.com

JD3000

I just emailed John, the biologist who put out the fact sheet. It seems that some other samples came in from Mass that sound similar to what I saw but where attributed to a eriophyid mite. What I saw was definitely fatal though. I'm kinda disappointed that I did not pursue it more last summer. Busy time of year to be running plant samples back and forth to the ag station if you know what i mean.
Jed look up erineum mite galls on beech just so you know the difference and then can send in the samples you see to a lab.

This sucks doesn't it?
I'm going to try to attend but may do the Adobe interweb thing. We shall see.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are probably not going to miss much on the "field trip".
The leaves here in NE Ohio are at least 2 - 3 weeks behind normal.
I don't have anything leafed out.
A couple maples are just starting to break out of buds.

Southern Ohio is a few weeks ahead of normal.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Background:
Holden Arboretum (just East of Cleveland Ohio) features 3500 acres of cultivated gardens and native forests, with over 20 miles of trails. The Arboretum also features the Canopy Walk, an elevated walkway 65 feet above the forest floor, and the Emergent Tower, a wooden tower that rises 120 feet above the forest floor for views of the surrounding landscape, and Lake Erie ~15 miles away.
A couple years ago, Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden joined together to make up Holden Forests & Gardens.
They do a lot the research & publish a quarterly magazine for the public.
"Forests Gardens, Winter 2018-19"

Article on Beech Tree Leaf Disease - Early identification of disease: (See pg 7 of 9 in Link; and See pages 12-13 in magazine article)

https://indd.adobe.com/view/074058cd-c661-44b4-8b5c-507b1eb4de6a

Beech Leaf Disease (BLD) continues to spread in Ohio & into Ontario, Pennsylvania, New York, etc.

Personally, the Beech, in my 10 acres of forest, seemed to decline more slowly than I expected for several years.
However, this year they seem to deteriorate more rapidly.

JD3000

Been hearing more chatter this week about nematodes. Nothing official.

Reactions: ATH

ATH

Jennifer Koch talked about these at the Division of Forestry's Forest Health Meeting a couple of weeks ago. Sounded pretty convincing...

That article is from May 2018? Must have been pretty new then...there was no mention of nematodes at last year's Forest Health meeting.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been hearing more chatter this week about nematodes. Nothing official.
This is the same conference that I mentioned in this thread last April.
(See April 26, 2018 post)
I attended that conference.

I was not convinced, or even encouraged, by any particular theory at the time.