Beech Tree leaves dying

96coal449

The EXPERTS have been looking at roots, bacteria, virus, bugs, crud, soil, ..................
Their still looking ............
Thanks Craig.

If I get enough responses, I might try to make a Progression Map ?
I'll do what I can to help. I love trees .... they're as innocent as defenseless animals and pets.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beech Leaf Disease Update - 7/28/16

John Pogacnik, Park Biologist at Lake Metroparks in Lake Co., Ohio, has produced a map of the BLD progress as of July 2016. Ohio, PA & NY are affected thus far.
160728 - Map of BLD - IMG_0097.JPG

He was asked to prepare a "Pest Alert"; an initial version of this is attached.
160728 - BLD Pest Alert, 1 of 2 - IMG_0098.JPG
160728 - BLD Pest Alert, 2 of 2 - IMG_0099.JPG
John also informed me that samples for the US Forest Service were collected a couple weeks ago, and sent to them in Minnesota. They are going to do DNA work to look for viruses and phytoplasms.

Attachments

mrtree

I am wondering if this is an overlooked disease in areas where BBD is present. Perhaps there is more going on than anybody has realized.

Something else to check for is the presence of greenish crustose lichens on trees and extent of lichens in general. There is apparently some variation in beech bark and I wonder if it may also play a role in this disease.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will be meeting with the biologist that discovered BLD in about 1+ weeks.
Send questions, theories, etc. to me.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Michigan is included in the raft of "Experts" that have already been looking at this.

Keep the comments coming !

mrtree

Yes but the Michigan expert(s) may not know of the work quoted by Roberts. I have "found" a couple of diseases that the experts did not know existed in the area as the disease was not considered of economic importance or common enough. Just start asking about Xylosandrus in the landscape and see where that leads.

96coal449

This may be far fetched but ..... The full legalization of cannabis is underway. It was legal at one time but prohibited in completely by 1937. Just like the prohibition of alcohol, it is being legalized state by state. At this point the only way the feds can control the growth of cannabis is to spray ... by means of airplane. I've continually noticed "chem trails" in our sky's. These trails last for 3-4 hours before dissipating. On a breezy day they disperse rather quickly but are still aloft. Wonder what exactly is in these "trails"? It is told that the "trails" are synthetic clouds made to reflect sunlight back into space for controlling "global warming". Ask the Indians if you can trust the government. BTW I have Mohawk in me. :D

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep .................. I like out of the box.
No weed here, it's too shady to even grow tomatoes !

Typically these trails are called "Con-Trails", i.e. condensation trains.
Some water vapor is created from burning fuel; it's very cold up there.

Keep 'em coming !

JD3000

Most well-known member
How about acid deposition and other pollution in the area? Read a few papers Kevin Smith has put out about the subject

JD3000

Most well-known member
Grumble grumble. Hmmmmmmmm.
Grumble.
Please keep us posted.

In NE today and tomorrow so I'll look around if I have time. Look around in Columbus when I get back as well.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grumble grumble. Hmmmmmmmm.
Grumble.
Please keep us posted.
In NE today and tomorrow so I'll look around if I have time. Look around in Columbus when I get back as well.
Beech Leaf Disease - Update - NONE

I was at Holden Arboretum in Kirtland, Ohio this weekend for the OH TCC.

I spoke with:
Alan Siewert - Ohio Div. of Forestry
Clem Hamilton - Pres. & CEO of Holden Arboretum
Mike Breth - Certified Arborist from Independent Tree Service (helped me ID problem to me)

As stated earlier, Holden has reported that it's American, Asian & European Beech are affected.
However, I did see some mature Beech that did not appear diseased (yet).

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any talk about a nursery quarantine? Big nurseries that that ship all over.
As you may know, NE Ohio has a huge nursery industry.
Unfortunately, I have asked several knowledgeable & involved people, if there is a focal point person is for this ................
There is no one definitive person ! ! !