Basics of Pruning and Removal for Beginners.

evo

Please don't poke the bear Evo, unless you're prepared for the consequences.
Aww shit, I’ve been poking bears since I was 17.. nuttin like the queens slipping outta their heels, and poppin their nails off on one side of the street. Then the cristian fundamentals on the other, roit cops in between! Let’s just say when I asked for my free drinks at 21 there were more than a few raised eyebrows, fuchsia and teal.

Daniel

Hardwood is perhaps the worst term for a beginner to read. There is a huge difference between hard woods and hardwoods. Likewise, soft wood and softwoods. Silver maple is a 'soft hardwood', a term I've been trying to use and suggest using. We should not even use the term 'hardwood'. We should use the term 'dicot' or 'broadleaf'.
Excellent suggestion..

JD3000

There ya have it.

Drag queens, street fighting, and drinking. Perfect beginner's thread now.

RopeShield

Yes for fruit trees... so guess that means you don't know of any science to back it up on hardwoods... OK.. please explain ... how does bigger fruit with less bumps and bruises translate to a healthier hardwood...
Intolerable! Reread, do some homework.

southsoundtree

Shave the bark of the hinge to watch what the wood is doing.

Learn to use basic tools like

wedges for felling and bucking,

throw weight/ lines for setting climbing and rigging lines,

round files/ raker gauges for sharpening,

and dogs on your saw for positioning your saw for felling

CanadianStan

Shave the bark of the hinge to watch what the wood is doing.

Learn to use basic tools like

wedges for felling and bucking,

throw weight/ lines for setting climbing and rigging lines,

round files/ raker gauges for sharpening,

and dogs on your saw for positioning your saw for felling
And learn some damn knots !!

evo

And learn some damn knots !!
Just for conversation sake what is the minimum skill level needed to fell a tree? For me one would certainly need to not be green. Work on bucking, limbing, saw ergonomics, safety, and many others long before felling the easiest of the easy.

evo

Just to add, it would be one hell of a learning curve before I’d let them do 1/3rd of what Danny boy preaches.

JD3000

My point exactly. This is for the newbies, follow suit.

Notice I'm not talking about white rot vs brown rot vs soft rot vs...

rico

Last time I had pecker rot, I went to the doctor and asked if could give me some medicine that would kill the pain , but leave the swelling?

Last edited: