Bandit issues

Keenanlog

I have a bandit 254 with a perkins. I cannot get it to start. I had a similar problem last year (there's a post about it). I have made sure pressure is good to injectors, fuel to injectors, changed filter, changed all fuses, have pick up truck hooked to battery to make sure there is enough juice, had it plugged in all night to keep the old girl warm, everything seems to be in order. Just not firing. No smoke or fumes out of exhaust. Yesterday we had it running in the morning to warm up, fired it up again when we got to job. Had a nice big pile of brush to chip.....wouldnt start. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

BooRad

I have a bandit 254 with a perkins. I cannot get it to start. I had a similar problem last year (there's a post about it). I have made sure pressure is good to injectors, fuel to injectors, changed filter, changed all fuses, have pick up truck hooked to battery to make sure there is enough juice, had it plugged in all night to keep the old girl warm, everything seems to be in order. Just not firing. No smoke or fumes out of exhaust. Yesterday we had it running in the morning to warm up, fired it up again when we got to job. Had a nice big pile of brush to chip.....wouldnt start. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Check "safety" plug at top of hood opening. Needs good contact to have ignition. Blow out, clean plugs, etc. Just like a snow plow. Look extra close at "gaps" in male recievers, common cause is dust collected in gaps, use small screwdriver to clean.

One last option to bypass, but I'll leave that one alone.

Keenanlog

Thanks for the reply. I've checked that, cleaned it and put some dielectric grease on it. Checked to make sure I had power to back of ignition. Everything seems in order. I'm not looking to bypass any safety switches.

Keenanlog

I believe it does TreeCo. There is a red light below the ignition that lights up when i put the key to accessory. Goes off after a couple seconds then I crank the motor. I have always thought it was for glow plugs.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Are there Murphy Switches?

Low oil pressure
High engine temp

They’ve been known to register like they’re working but fail the test when testing with a volt meter.

eastsidetimber

Yes check your Murphy switch.

Is it cranking? If it IS cranking then need to check fuel solenoid or air leaks in the fuel system. Last year the fuel pickup line in my fuel tank had cracked and wouldn't pick up fuel.

TreeCo

I'm pretty sure the OP mentioned that he had fuel pressure at the injectors. I'd suggest trying to get a resistance reading on each of the glow plugs with a VOM meter. Google glow plug resistance for your motor.

There is usually a master fuel shut off solenoid that the Murphy system uses. Also that shut off is what the ignition key operates. They can fail but if you have diesel under pressure at the injectors that valve must be opening. You need to know for sure though.

In cold climates some diesels are very dependant on a properly operating glow plug system for starting.

Pelorus

I dont think your glow plugs are the problem since you dont have smoke or fumes coming out of the exhaust when cranking it over. Fuel isn't getting injected. Have you tried adding some diesel antigel/deicer like Kleenflo to your fuel tank? Make sure your battery is up to snuff since diesels need decent cranking speed to fire.

Keenanlog

Thanks for all the replies! I had it plugged in the overnight, two night ago before I started digging into yesterday. Motor was warm in the morning. I had my truck hooked up to my battery to make sure cranking power stayed up there while working on the chipper. How my chipper is set up is there is the key with two red lights, one above and one below the throttle toggle (throttle is push up full throttle and back down is idle). When I turn the key to acc. the bottom light lights (UPDATE: the bottom light did not light up for me this moring) up for a bit then shuts off, I have always assumed that its for glow plugs, I could be wrong. I put a new filter on the day it would not start and mixed a fuel additive (Howes) to the fuel in filter. I also add howes to fuel tank in the winter. I messed with the machine all day yest. and didnt get anywhere. I have fuel from filter to injector pump, from pump to injectors. All electrical seems to be functioning normal. I put a test light on all I could making sure I have power to what should have power. I have two thoughts that may be way off base. My first is that I have a stuck injector but I would assume if only one is stuck I would still get smoke out of exhaust? My second is the fuel pump is not pushing enough fuel or not enough pressure. Even though its working maybe its not working properly? I am completely stumped.

Attachments

Last edited:

flyingsquirrel25

On that Perkins more than likely there is an automatic safety switch (Murphy). If it is in the open position there is no power to the fuel solenoid and you can crank all day long and you won’t have any fuel going to the engine, thus no white smoke. We had a very similar issue on a 2001 Perkins we owned a few years back. We rewired a Murphy switch (auto safety switch was $400) into it and the problem was solved. There is a way to diagnose if that’s the problem but I’m not comfortable explaining it in open forum as it might be easy for someone to not repair the problem and operate a machine in an unsafe manner (it is ONLY a diagnostic technique).

eastsidetimber

On that Perkins more than likely there is an automatic safety switch (Murphy). If it is in the open position there is no power to the fuel solenoid and you can crank all day long and you won’t have any fuel going to the engine, thus no white smoke. We had a very similar issue on a 2001 Perkins we owned a few years back. We rewired a Murphy switch (auto safety switch was $400) into it and the problem was solved. There is a way to diagnose if that’s the problem but I’m not comfortable explaining it in open forum as it might be easy for someone to not repair the problem and operate a machine in an unsafe manner (it is ONLY a diagnostic technique).
Agreed, the Murphy switch I believe actually supplies power to the fuel solenoid. Want to make sure Murphy is working correctly, but if you arent getting any smoke then I gotta think the plugin to the fuel solenoid is bad or the solenoid itself is bad

Keenanlog

Top light is for alternator not working properly bottom light is for glow plugs. I have eliminated the safety disconnect on top of hood for disk, the fuel system is working properly. The only thing I cannot figure out is the murphy switch. I have used the push button style but not an electric one. I just traced wires from ignition and throttle, I dont know what I am looking for. I checked fueses I encounered. Is it a wire harness somewhere? Something else? I think this is my problemm, just cant figure what I am looking for.

flyingsquirrel25

Top light is for alternator not working properly bottom light is for glow plugs. I have eliminated the safety disconnect on top of hood for disk, the fuel system is working properly. The only thing I cannot figure out is the murphy switch. I have used the push button style but not an electric one. I just traced wires from ignition and throttle, I dont know what I am looking for. I checked fueses I encounered. Is it a wire harness somewhere? Something else? I think this is my problemm, just cant figure what I am looking for.
On our Perkins it was a small box with 6 or so wires going to and from it. It should be bolted to the inside of the cowling on the ignition side.

Trevor Balgavy

There is no Murphy switch on that engine. If you're looking at the clutch end of the machine, take the left engine door off. There should be 2-3 relays in the bottom right hand corner if you are looking at that side of the machine. Make sure those connections on the bottom side of those relays are good. They are for the lift pump and the glow plugs on that unit. Also, if you notice the "H" position on the keyswitch, that is for heat. When you turn it to that position it should cycle the glow plugs. Give me a call at 989-772-8818 if you have any questions.

Keenanlog

Hey Trevor, I appreciate the reply. I will keep your number on hand for the future. I ended up taking it to a diesel shop because I was getting no where. They plugged into and the chipper wasn't talking to their computer (that ended up being a bad wire harness to ECM i guess) once plugged in, code was for bad fuel pump. It's been there for two weeks today. Hopefully I get it back sooner than later. Thanks again!

Keenanlog

So, I finally have my chipper back! It was a bad injection pump and chipper side computer/wire harness (not sure the proper term). Now my issue is I have a new LOR PDC-X that I cannot get to work properly I have power, it reads battery voltage, does not read rpms. I just stays at zero during any operation. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks!