badass cab-over mini transport build.

Sfoppema

Mint rig! gotta get some paint on that sucker. Everybody loves the bucket grapple huh? I just hired this kid and he's been sticking his nose up at my grapple. I was under the impression the bucket grapple was kinda junk except for moving logs, but he's talking me into buying one......

Sfoppema

Yeah I know. New tranny will be on before long... Getting a little smoked on this investment, but it'll be sweet when it's done. The stream of dollar bills out the window is widening! Peanuts compared to the rig Canary's rolling with, but I'm just a humble little rinky dink guy..... for now!

tnttree

" but he's talking me into buying one..... " ???? "Just hired a kid"
still waiting for my Boston Dates to get you a giant demo
bummer about your tranny - its going to be like you said a Badass little Rig
I love that little Cab over, had 2 spray rigs on that chassis - not 4x4 though

Sfoppema

Yeah the 4x4 is what sucked me in.... I've still got the 528. Really starting to get used to it. Rented it for a month post demo. Definitely takes a few weeks. I've put 40 hours on it this far. More than open to try out the giant. I think that the 254 is more like the avant 420 correct? I really like having a little bit bigger of a machine as I have also have a ditch witch that can go through 36-40" gates.

Luzl78

Yeah the 4x4 is what sucked me in.... I've still got the 528. Really starting to get used to it. Rented it for a month post demo. Definitely takes a few weeks. I've put 40 hours on it this far. More than open to try out the giant. I think that the 254 is more like the avant 420 correct? I really like having a little bit bigger of a machine as I have also have a ditch witch that can go through 36-40" gates.

Luzl78

The giant is way stronger than the 420. No comparison. Spend the extra money and get the telescoping. It’s like buying a big 18” chipper and not getting a winch.

Luzl78

I would say it’s even stronger especially the hd version. It sucks that we have to buy a low 40s machine but it does make the day go better and keeps employees happier especially long drags on hot days

Sfoppema

I would definitely try it. Really liking the 528 though. I'm assuming it's similarly priced and dealer 20 mins away....

Luzl78

The avant- is 43” wide but the giant can be 35” wide if you get the dual wheel option if the need arises where you don’t want to take a fence down. The giant is 2 mph faster

Sfoppema

yeah not so worried about width. I'd honestly rather a little wider for less flippability. I already have a mini skid and that's narrow enough when needed. extra mph is always good. The only thing I would complain about with the avant is it really doesn't like hills. Even just going up ramps to the trailer. You have to play with it a little. The mini goes up a hill literally like it's not there. Not the end of the world, but it is a little annoying sometimes!

Luzl78

If you get the giant get the hd. It has more powerful wheel motors and goes right up hills no problem

tnttree

yeah not so worried about width. I'd honestly rather a little wider for less flippability. I already have a mini skid and that's narrow enough when needed. extra mph is always good. The only thing I would complain about with the avant is it really doesn't like hills. Even just going up ramps to the trailer. You have to play with it a little. The mini goes up a hill literally like it's not there. Not the end of the world, but it is a little annoying sometimes!
Giant 254T and Avant 528 are the closest models to each other, 528 is a great machine the Giant is better because it has the following features Avant does not
Giants HD drive system kicks ass on their old standard system (same as 528's), the increased torque is incredible. 528 and old 254's would have trouble doing the following
No Plastic, Rigid and oscillating frame modes, the american standard attachment hitch plate, you ride on the back frame not the front frame, more tire options 35" to 54" plus Duals etc. etc.
Servicing Center about 1 1/2 hours from you.
The Avant is a great dependable machine - the Giant is a great dependable machine with even better features

Sfoppema

Had to put this on the back burner for a bit.

Finally got the transmission sorted. Now waiting to have the exhaust customized a bit, and new floors welded in. The floors are on the way out and I've got a guy that is pretty slick for the job. He just did the floor on my brothers pickup. Can hardly tell they are custom. I figure I might as well get that sorted before we get her on the road. Pictures to come soon....