badass cab-over mini transport build.

Sfoppema

Yeah its pretty heavy duty. There's gotta be a way. It is handy to have the stiff platform when you lose a track and use the machine to lift the track off the ground. I bet if you used a spring and a heavy duty pin it would still work and still be rugged enough. Just have to engineer wisely. Wouldn't want it flopping around. I'm going to stare at it for awhile tomorrow and think about it.....

CanaryBoss

I am currently going to begin looking into a project regarding extending the tongue on my chipper adding an axle and making a platform for mini on the tongue

Jehinten

I am currently going to begin looking into a project regarding extending the tongue on my chipper adding an axle and making a platform for mini on the tongue

I am thinking of doing exactly that. I can currently load into my chip box, but a lower loading height would be faster/easier. Also I cannot currently haul the mini and a load of chips.

Jehinten

I've got a 12" woodchuck. I got under it the other day and found it had a 6,000lb axle under it. Considering getting a tandem axle setup or maybe just a heavier axle.

Sfoppema

That's pretty slick, Islandedge. Got the bed off this week and made measurements for a new one. Also got the ramps. Scheduling the sandblasting will probably be a pain. A little more rust than I was anticipating, but we're going to sandblast, have the frame reinforced, new bed frame put on, sandblasted/painted, then wood. Easier said than done! Pictures soon

VenasNursery

LOL you know about Southgate? Yeah they're one of the worst, you get a minimum of three tickets when they get you. Good old officer Rob
No more Southgate for me!!! 2 years ago 1 leaf in the throat of the chipper $500 and 1 fire extinguisher expired $400 and that was that!!! Enough work out there we don’t even drive in their district. Melvindale impounded my truck over a mud glad that got ripped off on the job and then oh Srgt Slaughter my whipped a micrometer and said our pintle hitch was too warn WTF!! So No Melvindale either!!!

Sfoppema

Here she is with the bed off. Not ideal, but she's about to get spiffed up big time.

In the third picture you can see where the frame dips down, the curved "s" rail that attaches the front to the back is an area I really want super clean. I've come to understand that this specific model truck will have the frame crack in this location. They modified the frame at the manufacturer to accommodate for 4x4. That's the area I'm most concerned about reinforcing/getting all the rust out of. The 2wd models just have straight rail. That's going to get super beefed!

Plan is to have 3x8 platform right behind the bed for diesel tank and toolbox. Then an 8x8 platform for mini and plywood/mats which will sit approximately 6" lower than the 3x8 platform. That will make loading the mini/mats more convenient, and eliminate an over the top subframe to accommodate for the dip in the frame. As well as make mounting the bed a bit simpler.

Anyway. The steel is ordered and I'm in the midst of sandblasting/painting quotes. More coming soon

Attachments

Sfoppema

Just dropped her off at the sandblaster. Got a quote for initial blast. Then blast again after the frame is beefed and new bed frame on, plus two coats of primer for $1000. Thought that was pretty cheap. Supposed to pick it up Monday to bring to the fabricator. Pics coming soon!

Sfoppema

Took forever to get my guy to do it, but the bed is finally on! The plate that was on was micky mouse BS, so we cut it off. You could see where someone had also micky mouse- extended the frame a few feet, so we cut that off and put new rail in its place, along with a 5/8 plate for the hitch. There is a 3 x 8 section just behind the cab and 8 x 8 section further back. Going to put some rough cut boards on her after sandblast and paint. Then wiring it up will be fun, I'm sure. Might just pay someone to do it. Busier than ever.

Sfoppema

Also reinforced the frame and put a few cross members in between the existing frame rails to beef it up. I'll get some photos of that next time I see the truck.