Backyard Ash Removal

dylanclimbs

Like an inertia brake?

I meant hedge your bets, Ricky. It seems like you do things intentionally, why not err on the side of safety.

I use rip cuts almost exclusively on crane removals, or when picking with the rigging...that is only on lifting procedures when directional control is not necessary. When I need a piece to go a certain way, I either bypass with a snipe or face cuts. I've been burned by not using a face cut before, so maybe I'm just paranoid. Directional felling requires a face cut...we wouldn't do it on the ground, so why in a tree when we have a rope on it?

Does it save time? Maybe, but it only takes one error to change the future of your life. Like I said, hedge your bets. Face cuts are cheap insurance.

TreeCo

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if they will make a saw that will activate chain break during kickback even when using one handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stihl saws already have that feature built in and have for years.

Tony

Current industry standards for chainsaw manufacturers state that all saws produced today must have the four main safety features: inertia chain brake, throttle interlock, chain catcher pin and wrist guard. (Of course on a top handled saw the body of the saw acts as the wrist guard)

The handle of the chain brake is a on/off switch for the operator and the opposite end of the lever that activates the chain brake in the event of sudden kickback. A properly functioning chain brake should engage well before the wrist ever comes in contact with the chain brake handle. It should engage even if the wrist does not come in contact with the handle.

Tony