Asplundh doing line clearance pruning with spikes

oldschool

Re: Asplundh doing line clearance pruning with spi

Well......im not gonna spend all night typing you what i think but i will tell you this....
Ive worked all over the country and into canada and its always the same game.......VEGETATIVE CONTROL! its all about clearing line. the utility wants it done asap and the contractor wants it done asap and there are almost always men to fill the spots regardless of their qualifications or "attention to detail" so the best that can be done is to minimize damage and make proper cuts.
Dealing with the enormous volume of trees that we deal with its totally obsurd to think that they could each indivually be prunned and maintained the way they could optimumaly be. If you think you can do it or have people who can im sure ALL the utilities ive ever worked for would love to hear from you. so step up to the plate and send em a resume. BIG$$$$$$ for you if you can do all that at the same price or less than they are paying now.
Let me know how thats works out for ya

BostonBull

Call any of the 5 utilities I have ever worked for on a production basis, then call the tree wardens in those towns. I think you will be a little surprised.

Dont forget that on the internet, no one knows who anyone is, especially half a continent away. I didnt personally attack you, please show some respect! Learn to have a conversation in an adult manner.

IMO, ROW's are treated differently than street trees/back yard easements.

oldschool

Attack? pretty strong word bro. You made a statement....I countered.....with a bit of sarcasm. soooo soorrry! I didnt know your were so sensitive. I thought we were all adult here.

BostonBull

[ QUOTE ]
Attack? pretty strong word bro. You made a statement....I countered.....with a bit of sarcasm. soooo soorrry! I didnt know your were so sensitive. I thought we were all adult here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a generalization about the industry, you came back at me personally. Lay off the coffee gunpowder!

oldschool

wow i guess you really are edgy. How long have you done line clearance friend?

oldschool

and for the record...bcause you have clearly forgot.....this " LAZY TRIMMER" was attacked by you
lay off the dope

BostonBull

[ QUOTE ]
wow i guess you really are edgy. How long have you done line clearance friend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not edgy, just being a realist.

Telecom and Power construction Linesman, safety officer for 2500 person union, Telecom splicer, for 5 years. Line clearance trimmer off and on, with residential and commercial for the next 5. Line clearance for probably 2-2.5 of those years.

oldschool

Not long enough to see the whole picture I presume. With only two yrs in youd be lucky if you were in a bucket by then where ive worked.....definatley not climbing around lines. You definately are in no position to make judgements on how the work should be done. keep splicing!
Ive been at it 12 yrs straight

BostonBull

youd be surprised what a person can accomplish! Some would say that having 5 years as a linesman one would learn a lifetime of what a line trimmer would learn.

I would shoot myself in the forehead with a musketball if I was doing line clearance for 12 years straight, no wonder youre angry!

oldschool

yeah splicing sounds like a real gas....red to red....black to black....even splicing fiber optic is as interesting as watching grass grow{I know cause ive done that too...but only for a couple months} I got bored. Im not angry with my line of work....just the jokers with no idea trying to act as if they do

countryboy77

well i've personally worked for asplunduh and im pretty sure that it is company policy to use spikes unless it's not allowed where ur workin (city rules etc). there is alot of good hard working men out there every day busting their a** so we all can have elec. in my opinion they just don't put in enough time or skilled ppl to train crews on how to climb w/o spikes.that is somthing that they should change but the coustomer and the utility companys will have to push them into it.it is also quicker in my opinion to use spikes, quicker not better. there is a big turnover is line clerance work so skilled ppl can be hard to keep. i live in the mountains of nc and we have alot of trees here. its also hard to find good help these days and keep them on asplunduh's wages long enough to make a quality climber trimmer out of them. ultamatly its on the utility company cuz line clerance is contracted, lowest bid gets the contract.lowest bid usually means lowest quality work.

TANNER

For the most part I am not going to criticise a guy that is working near lines. Not safe to use through line, not comfortable even trowing rope near them.

Yes I am sure that they do use spikes even when it is unesicary to. If they are coming into your yard, offer to do it yourself.

Now asphlund is in my area. The thing that I don't like is they must have changed their pollicy, cause they are starting to cut every thing back to the tree. I mean at least 20 ft away or more and over 12 in diameter!

It doesn't even look like they are keeping job security any more. Instead of making sure they will grow back in a mear couple of years, they are trying to kill them I guess.

I have refused to trim a tree cause some one told me to use spikes. Not to say that I have never done it. But I don't plan on doing it again unless I don't see any other choice. I am getting to the point that I will criticise others hack work, and I am open to any critism myself. But I won't do it on the aspect of a municipal guy on a manual crew with spikes.

trees dont need pruning...... people need pruning,,, go ahead think about it ,, its deeper if you do.

BostonBull

[ QUOTE ]
trees dont need pruning...... people need pruning,,, go ahead think about it ,, its deeper if you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree

kiwitreeman

Asdplundh work over here too . Quite a number of good guys with good skills , in fact some very good climbers . Trouble is that it is all about the dollar . They quote low to get the work then put pressure on the staff to make an underquoted contract profitable . Hence low rates of pay and the quickest cheapest (crappy ) job . They rely on student arborists from England doing work experience to fill the staffing shortages .Not a lot of locals stay there too long for these sorts of reosons. I lasted a month and decided i didn"t want to be a hacker . That said Asplundh are really no different than the other companies around here that do this sort of work .Education of the public and our council is probably the way forward to try and raise the standard ,but it might cost more to do nice work so isn't gonna happen in my lifetime . The mighty dollar is king in this type of work

sul

I was new on a Davey utility crew and wanted to climb without spikes. The forman said"how are you going to stay on the tree?" I said watch. he made me wear spikes. I tried not to put them in the tree.(tippytoe)just like oldschool does

speelyei

yeah, you're not going to change the culture overnight. That said, if you demonstrate skill and become a valuable, sought after worker, after a few weeks... people will listen to you. Coming in brand new and trying to change the status quo immediately never goes over.