Ascent event is "Ash*t"event

SomethingWitty

with the new event I am amazed there is any difference in times at all. in any of it. in sure I could get my dad to be able to compete with the best of them with a few hours of instruction. the footlock is real skill.
I mean, I get where the thought is coming from, but I can't hang with those guys. How the hell does one go so quickly with a knee ascender? I'm lagging behind at like 18 seconds.

treebing

I mean, I get where the thought is coming from, but I can't hang with those guys. How the hell does one go so quickly with a knee ascender? I'm lagging behind at like 18 seconds.
my guess is its mechanical rather than physical. I mean some people can move their legs really fast but in such a short length that should be marginal. see where your pulling slack, remember its not a ladder and so your foot does not need to avoid a ring. it goes straight up the line. you drop three seconds and your in the running. Ive never tried it I might be talking out of my ass. ill let you know in September. I just think the footlock is something integral to climbing. I think it should retain a central part of the comp. I also love the speed climb though. its so fun.

SomethingWitty

Okay, so terrible event or no, it is still points that I have to try to get.
How is everyone getting the best scores in the setup section? I still have seen zero discussion about how to win this event. Is the double hand ascender on twin stationary lines still legit? Or do I have to buy one of those finger trap style fids?

WaitakKauri

How is everyone getting the best scores in the setup section? I still have seen zero discussion about how to win this event. Is the double hand ascender on twin stationary lines still legit? Or do I have to buy one of those finger trap style fids?
I was at our local TCC last weekend. Lots of interesting configurations. The fastest are using all mechanical.

Most are using a hand ascender at the top of their system with tether as a backup. Backup gives another point.

Skipping the ascent bit, you need fast setup and fast descent ready times.

For setup the fastest by far, is hand ascender at the top, mechanical (chest ascender, Taz), then foot and knee ascenders and a chest (smaller & better) or hand ascender with lots of weight (say 2Kg or 4lbs). Seemed slower setup for foot loop off hand ascender.

The Taz is fastest on and equal to a RW for descent.

Lots of guys sharing Tazs.

I nailed 5 sec for descent and I know another going about 4.8, no idea what the fastest was, but I was really happy with that and getting knee and foot ascenders off and hit the bell again.

Not sure what the fastest setup was, but it must've been around 12-15 seconds including the walk. I was happy with 33s. I need more weight, only had 22oz from 2 throwbags.

WaitakKauri

Fyi, I might copy some of my post and start a thread on the comp area.

KentuckySawyer

I think they should do away with the timed setup as well as the dorsal belay. Run it like the Red Bull Ascent Event where the climber is responsible for their own safety and descent.

The way the event is setup now, it encourages a bunch of jacked up "racing systems" that have nothing to do with production tree work.

If you can't footlock, you suck.

SomethingWitty

I think they should do away with the timed setup as well as the dorsal belay. Run it like the Red Bull Ascent Event where the climber is responsible for their own safety and descent.

The way the event is setup now, it encourages a bunch of jacked up "racing systems" that have nothing to do with production tree work.

If you can't footlock, you suck.
That's a bold statement. If you couldn't footlock, you wouldn't suck. You just happen to be able to footlock.

KentuckySawyer

That's a bold statement. If you couldn't footlock, you wouldn't suck. You just happen to be able to footlock.
It may be a bold statement, but I believe it. It didn't just happen that I can footlock. I worked hard at it and did it daily for years.

I'm under no illusion that new climbers will not want or need to footlock for daily production since there are safer, faster alternatives... But I think footlocking is something any tree climber should dabble in. Bingham has a less inflammatory version, "If you can't footlock, just stay on the ground."