Ascent event is "Ash*t"event

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing Competitions' started by Riggs, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Riggs

Riggs Well-Known Member

I don't get it . You drop the footloclk event , replace it with a ridiculous event , and it's A " SPEED " EVENT ?
    Listen up . The foot lock event you went into ring and , tied your knot , hooked up to belay , tested your line . bang ... hit bell done . Fastest person WINS . OKAY ,,,, Now, powers that be , are trying to { not re invent the wheel , but this one isn't turning . } .....WHAT ? what are they trying to do ? Seriously! you don't need to be an Einstein to make a speed event , set your line up , your system , GO , fastest to bell wins ! HELLO ! WTF ? setting up , ascending , retying in , ? for what ? the best of the best are competing , lets see the fastest person up the rope . I know it's over thought and under thought at the same time . Rename the event if you want to go by the " rules " that aren't even solidified yet . It 's Like a Gieco commercial but Gieco commercials are funny . Also add in the extra volunteers and judges for this one simple event that we are up (down)grading .

Mark Chisholm likes this.
  2. Frax

Frax Well-Known Member

Expat now in Chapel Hill, NC by way of Calgary, Al
    If you care enough to have a rant over it, step up and man the ring. Your rules. Otherwise, the people actually stepping up and making the rules will do it the way they want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. Riggs

Riggs Well-Known Member

Really Frax ? that's all you got ? next

4. Riggs

Riggs Well-Known Member

Frax is just ranting now on a subject he probably has no reason to reply on .

5. Frax

Frax Well-Known Member

Try again. Weak.

6. flyingsquirrel25

flyingsquirrel25 Well-Known Member

He just so happens to step up quite a bit within our chapter! I believe he is in charge of our TCC. So that kinda gives him a little ground to rant from on the subject. As for stepping up to “make the rules”; the year I was involved as a volunteer at an ITCC event it just so happens it’s kind of a great big ego fest. “I’m in charge, it’s my call, I really don’t care what you say”. But hey what do I know I’m just a dumb tree guy, that doesn’t know what I’m talking about!

7. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Just so others can use the correct pronoun when referring to Frax, I believe she is a female, unless she had a major medical procedure! Read a little closer and you will see that she is the one and only Nora B.

8. JontreeHI

JontreeHI Well-Known Member

I was once an advocate for getting rid of footlock. Then I practiced hard and got to the point that I won’t embarrass myself in the event, (never break top ten but finish and feel good), and they actually dropped it.
    I agree with Riggs, I would love to walk into the ring, throw on my hitch, ring the bell and move on.
    I’ve only done ascent once thus far, but I can say without a doubt that it added many many minutes to the day, if not an hour or more.
    Hoping they will work out the bugs. But personally just planning on footlocking it this summer.

SomethingWitty likes this.
  9. Riggs

Riggs Well-Known Member

A world record can't be set like you could in the footlock the way this is being presented . Everyone is on belay , this is typical "over thinking " the situation. For all the slow minded people , you know who you are ,read slow . Here we go " Climber ready ? (yes) Belayers ready ?( yes) GO , ring Bell ,YEA (applause), okay come down " Next ......
    Footlock was fine for years , it just wasn't a practical way to ascend into the tree anymore , there are many ways . Fastest up the rope , should be just that and only that , Fastest up the Rope .

Mark Chisholm and RopeShield like this.
  10. Frax

Frax Well-Known Member

Apologies. I did not know that.

11. Frax

Frax Well-Known Member

I haven't heard much positive about the ITCC event. But the open ascent events created at competitions not sanctioned by the ISA are a blast and the competitors seem to love them.

12. Mark Chisholm

Mark Chisholm Administrator

I think we are in the middle of a transition phase. I like what Riggs is saying, but footlocking isn't done much on mist jobsite. I'd like to see us bridge the gap a little to dial in an event that tests athletic ability, is simple to understand for spectators and somehow is able to be duplicated like Riggs says so we can set WRs and watch progress happen year after year as we set new goals.

13. arborpatrol

arborpatrol Active Member

The footlock speaks to traditions and elegance. The open ascent offers more creativity and speaks to how climbing techniques are evolving. I'd love to keep both.

14. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Well-Known Member

5 is about the limit for events with masters running on the same day as preliminaries. I like the idea of the masters tree being "one last climb" between you and going home.

It hurts my heart, but belayed speed climb is not only already more outdated than footlock, it is also harder on your body, less related to doing work, and easier for your help (the belay) to mess you up. I hate footlocking. It should be there after belayed speed climb is gone. There could be two ascent events.

15. Treetopflyer

Treetopflyer Well-Known Member

I can speak from experience that's horrible. I'll never do that event again..

16. Treetopflyer

A ROPE walk up change over to descent touch down safely on self belay ..like how it is at work, sounds good ..first up and down ..next

17. Mark Chisholm

Mark Chisholm Administrator

I always liked the belated speedclimb. You never get to test yourself like that at work. It's as close to a "race" as you can get, much like the footlock always was.

JontreeHI likes this.
  18. Treetopflyer

I hear that, I live a good race as much as anyone. What I don't like is being dropped on belay. I would rather self belay

Mark Chisholm and Brocky like this.
  19. Riggs

Riggs Well-Known Member

Here is where it is "wrong" nice way of saying "FKD up " . So you get timed being set up , you get timed going up the rope , you get judged after that . First off , if the end of the race is to see if you can transfer into a tree , why are you making a point to see if you are the fastest to set up your climbing system? ITCC is about advanced everything , that part of it is stupid . like a knot tying contest . Make it its own event . A belay , a secured climb , a race to hit the bell. REALLY , we need to see more than that . Stupid is Stupid does. The event should be called " COMPLICATED">

Tom Dunlap likes this.