Ascent Event from 2015 on?

treebing

I can split wood, I know how to swing one. I guess the ae still has its place. I have never topped a tree with one but it might not be that bad. But I foot lock still quite a lot. sometimes when I have a pantin on. Its too much work to lean down and pop the rope in and out.

ARLO

My humble opinion is that just about any reasonably fit person can quickly learn how to body-thrust with a Blake's hitch or walk up a rope with ascenders. But it takes a lot of practice and real athleticism and skill to become a good footlocker. It is the same thing with the speed climbing event at logging shows. You have to be a real athlete to be good at it. So, maybe footlocking is old-school, but it is still a lot of fun to watch in competitions.

Last edited:

treebing

I think an srt ascent event would be totally uninteresting as everyones score would be virtually identical. it woukd be decided by hundreths of seconds. the only limiting factor being how fast you can move your feet. might as well have a 50 yard dash and forget about the tree. footlocking requires finesse

DSMc

.... might as well have a 50 yard dash and forget about the tree...
It is just a rope climbing technique and so has nothing to do with the tree already. If you live long enough you will see many changes. Humans and most all other living things are not real good at handling change. Still, it happens.

colb

I think an srt ascent event would be totally uninteresting as everyones score would be virtually identical. it woukd be decided by hundreths of seconds. the only limiting factor being how fast you can move your feet. might as well have a 50 yard dash and forget about the tree. footlocking requires finesse
Usain Bolt should have to footlock horizontally.

SomethingWitty

You say that now. Just wait until I break out the 1 to 2 mechanical disadvantage ascending setup. 50 feet in 5 very painful lunges.