Are the proposed 2014 revisions finalised?

Discussion in 'Rules and Regs' started by Weta, May 25, 2014.

1. Tara2

Tara2 Active Member

We gather a circle of people who have a logical brain and personal experience - and the climber has to convince the circle; with respect to both the climber's ability to use the system safely - and the safety of the system as such. Our time starts with second foot off the ground - so we can take our sweet time with it. It generally works quite well, and we generally end up with a second circle watching, listening, asking questions, and learning. It also mirrors the collaborative approach to safety that is key in working aloft. It can and does get interesting because climbers do innovate; but at the end of the day you've got to convince the circle. What we've found in the past, and this has mostly been at open masters, is that the climbers appreciate the discussion - and on occasions have misdirected themselves with respect to their innovations (or on occasions with their normal mode of work). As a non-technician it is quite something to watch... and speaks volumes for the collaborative side of climbing.

2. Tree Access

Tree Access Member

I share your approach, thats how we did it at our Open Ascent Event this year to.
    I think like you about the collaborative approach,it just makes sense in many ways.
    I'd love to make it to the Taranaki Open some time, and to NZ generally.
    Unfortunately its sooo far away... (Austria is on the exact other side of the planet as NZ, did you know that? :)

My question was about the technical aspect though, if one toothed ascender would be sufficient, but I read that you're not too much into the technical part, right?

3. Tara2

Tara2 Active Member

I am no technician... I do tend to agree with you, for the little it is worth. How did you run your ascent event? Our Taranaki Open rules are very straight forward and much safer than the X rules. I also think that the X rules have no merit as a spectator friendly event - which is one of the reasons why the Taranaki Open rules came into existence. Sport needs two fundamental things to survive, people to want to compete, and people to want to watch, and I think the X rules are very esoteric. The other reason is the potential criminal liability on the technicians if anyone has a fall. As a lawyer the time constraints on checking a person's safety scares me; there is no way I'd want the technicians to take on the responsibility the X rules place on them.

Also New Zealand's is the antipode of the west coast of the Iberian peninsular... We had two climbers from Milan climb at the 2014 Taranaki Open, which isn't that far from Austria right? : http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/9652340/Climbers-take-to-the-trees

It's a fun weekend with the film festival, TCC, and mountain climb; and it's either late January or early February, depending on when the long weekend falls. Hope to see you here one day...

4. Mark_B.

Mark_B. Member

Neil, I am starting to find your polemic agains the showcased Ascent Event quite tiresome.

Esoteric? C'mon, give me a break. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but please, let's remain fair.

I find you insinuating that we would put a dangerous event in place quite insulting. The showcase events were exactly that – a showcase illustrating a point in a development and discussion process that started in 2008 (!), which is when the original proposal for an Ascent Event was submitted, so it is not as though no thought has gone into all of this. During this time the format has evolved considerably, based on feedback from at least ten events at which it was demonstrated. This was in order to review the way the event is run, to ensure that we are not biasing the format towards one technique or the other and also to ensure that scoring is consistent.

The showcased event in Milwaukee is not the final version of the event, we shall be continuing to tweak it, again for ETCC in two weeks. And, Neil, don't be too scared for the technicians, remember, the climber is on a belay at all times after all – for exactly that reason. You might also want to bear in mind that climbers are doing other things in timed events during TCCs – sans belay.

So, in a nutshell: Whatever the definitive form of the Ascent Event shall look like, it'll be safe.

Constructive input is very welcome, just bear in mind that the task here is to come up with a format that'll work across the board at all levels and yet also works as a discipline within the TCC frame work. This is not quite as easy as it may seem...

Regards

Mark

Crazy_Jimmy likes this.
  5. Tree Access

Tree Access Member

Hm, I dont even understand what you could refer to as esoteric?!

Anyway, we run our event after the proposed Ascent Event rules and although nothing is ever perfect I was happy with it and we had more climbers in it then I thought would participate! I think its a big step forward when you compare it to the "Ascent Event" of the past, the Footlock Event.

And I really dont think TCC's are a sport event, and will not be in the near future.
    I personally dont think about the spectators too much, there are for sure better things to watch. TCC's are (or should be?) from Arborists for Arborists, that is what makes them interesting for me.
    I'd make some things different as well, but appreciate all the work, time and thought other people put in it because I dont have time & experience to do so.
    My biggest wish would be to take the competitive part back and strengthen the collaborative part.
    In the meanwhile I always think about how a system could work were all the climbers judge each other (instead of separate judges), and the whole event not taking a week.
    I'd sacrifice the Speed Climb first... ;)

6. treebing

treebing Well-Known Member

It would be cool if climbers got to spend more time in the trees. Unless you make the master's, a normal competition offers about 12 minutes of treetime.

macswan, mattbever and Crazy_Jimmy like this.
  7. LukeGlines

LukeGlines Member

Hello Mark. Do you know if the new ascent event to replace the footlock is on for 2015? If so, can the rules be posted? Thanks!

Crazy_Jimmy likes this.