Are the proposed 2014 revisions finalised?

Discussion in 'Rules and Regs' started by Weta, May 25, 2014.

1. Weta

Weta Member

Can anyone confirm whether the proposed revisions are finalised for the 2014 ITCC? There are only the 2013 rules available on the ISA website, and the comp is two months away. The changes are quite major for the women's AR and footlock, so it would be good to know what to train for.

2. Kathy_Holzer

Kathy_Holzer Active Member

should be available any minute now on the ITCC page - final review in process. women should train to foot lock 50 ft, and the time limit for A/R will be 5 min for everyone. a few other big changes, but i'll wait for that to be announced officially.

3. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Longest registered member

I read a draft which was encouraging...SRT was allowed.

The Texas Chapter allowed SRT a few weeks ago in their comp so they seem to have adopted the new rules. Good for them!

4. Crazy_Jimmy

Crazy_Jimmy Well-Known Member

It was with the rig or Id only Tom, but I know our guys are golden they are just following the rules.

5. GregManning

GregManning Super Moderator Staff Member

I just got a pdf file w/ the 2014 Rules, dated June 11, 2014.

It does not included the score sheets. I'm trying.

Attached Files:

6. Mark_B.

Mark_B. Member

Tom

For the record: SRT has been allowed for the past two years for devices whose manufacturers provided documentation for, up until now this was the case with Petzl for the RIG and the I'D.

So nothing new there...

This year the Rope Wrench will be allowed as documentation has been submitted by the manufacturer.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    treebing likes this.
  7. LukeGlines

LukeGlines Member

Hello Mark,
    Maybe you can help with my question of what type of variations can be done with the use of the rope wrench. The ISC document approves a certain configuration of components and was wondering if a different rope and hitch can be used-example: Sterling 11mm rope and Vt hitch? Was hoping there might be some clarity before comp on some of these basics.
    Much appreciated!

8. Mark_B.

Mark_B. Member

Luke

Working on it, as soon as I know more I'll let you know.

Regards

M

9. GregManning

The 2014 Score Sheets are NOT yet available.
    They are STILL being revised.
    I will post when I get them.

See above for the 2014 Rules Text.

10. Riggs

Riggs Well-Known Member

think they will be ready ? WTF ? WOW , less than a month before the international competition , rules changes and revised score sheets not available . That's awesome . If trash gets taking on Friday , I put it out on Friday morning . I do it early though , like . before they show up . sounds like to me the competitors are going to be more prepared than the event holders . Every body is working so hard ,I know , just because it's the last minute , no one's gonna hold that against you , keep up the hard work . Thank you . Get what you pay for . ( bait)

11. GregManning

12. Tara2

Tara2 Active Member

Got e-mailed this, this morning...

X ASCENT EVENT

X.1 Event Summary

The Ascent Event assesses the climbers’ ability to connect to ascent line(s); ascend the line(s); and convert to ‘hands free locking’ descent mode.

The ascent line(s) may be configured in any format that is considered safe by the judges (e.g. single, doubled, doubled stationary). All climbers (men and women) ascend to 15 meters (49 feet, 2.5 inches). Any combination of recommended mechanical device and knotted cordage that is considered safe by the judges may be used. The event is timed, with a maximum time limit of 2 minutes. Points are earned for speed as well as for meeting predetermined safety objectives.

X.2 Ascent Event Rules

X.2.1 A climbing-style helmet; approved ascent and descent system; approved tree-climbing saddle/harness, and/or fall-protection harness with a dorsal and/or sternal attachment; safety glasses; and appropriate clothing and footwear must be worn at all times during this event.

X.2.3 Contestants start the event from within a 1m diameter circle marked on the ground, the center of which is 4 meters from the rope.

X.2.4 Contestants may not be connected to any PPE ascent component prior to leaving the circle, unless it is an integral part of the fall protection harness. Only those non-PPE components which may reasonably be used during work positioning may be connected to the climber prior to leaving the circle e.g. a foot ascender

X.2.5 A contestant must demonstrate ‘on rope’ the effectiveness of the fall protection system (ascent and descent) prior to competing.

X.2.6 Contestants advise the judges when they are ready and waits for the Head Judge to signal the judges they are ready to proceed.

X.2.7 The timers start the timing clocks when the Head Judge says ‘Go’ thereby instructing the contestant to leave the circle and proceed.

X.2.8 The contestant must attach to the line(s) to the satisfaction of the judges and wait for verbal approval before ascending.

X.2.9 The contestant must ascend to 15m and ring the bell.

X.2.10 Once the contestant has rung the bell, (s)he transfers to ‘hands free locking’ descent mode which is signalled to the judges when the contestant extends both arms wide to the sides of the body.

X.2.11 Neither the contestants’ feet nor any other part of their body may play a part in preventing descent.

X.2.12 Conversion to ‘hands free locking*’ descent mode must be made within 30 seconds of ringing the bell.

X.2.13 An impartial belayer provides belay for the contestant during the climb.

X.2.14 Contestants must keep the belay line attached to the harness and remain on belay at all times while participating in this event.

X.3 Scoring the Ascent Event (30 possible points)

X.3.1 The Ascent Event is scored on a combination of time and meeting safety objectives.

X.3.2 Attachment to the line(s) and ascent to 15m is timed from “Go” to the ringing of the bell.

X.3.3 The contestant with the fastest time is awarded 20 points. The remaining contestants’ time scores are calculated by subtracting the fastest contestants time (in seconds) from the times of each of the other contestants. For every 1 second difference in time between those scores, 1 point (of the possible points) is deducted from the climber’s score. No more than 20 points may be deducted.

X.3.4 Conversion to ‘hands free locking’ descent mode within 30 seconds receives 4 bonus points. If this conversion is not made within the allocated time, no bonus points are scored.

X.3.5 Incorporating the following safety features is rewarded with the pre-defined bonus points as indicated:

• avoidance of slack accumulation (<100mm/4 inches) during ascent and conversion to descent (4 points);

• a second ‘in series’ attachment to a single ascent line (2 points)

X.3.6 In the case of a points tie, the contestant with the fastest ascent time wins.

X.4 Penalties

Mandatory Penalty

A contestant will be penalized for the following infractions:

X.4.1 3-second penalty will be deducted from the contestants score for placing his/her hand above a friction hitch when being used as the primary fall protection.

X.4.2 3-second penalty for obstructing the correct function of a mechanical device

X.5 Disqualification

Mandatory Disqualification:

A contestant will be disqualified for the following infractions:

X.5.1 Dropped piece of equipment;

X.5.2 Disconnection from a fall protection system (belay, ascent or descent)

X.5.3 Being more than five minutes late for the event

X.5.4 Misconduct

Discretionary Disqualification:

A contestant may be disqualified, at the discretion of the judges, for the following infractions:

X.5.6 Uncontrolled swinging or rotating during ascent

X.5.7 Repeated unsafe actions. The first instance will result in a warning. The second instance will result in disqualification.

*Note:

• ‘Hands-free locking’ is a term used in European EN standards. The following is proposed as a definition for TCC’s:
    “Hands-free locking is an integral function of the descent system/device which completely halts the descent and thereby prevents an uncontrolled descent or a fall when the user is not engaged with the descent device/system.” (Adapted from EN12841.)

Rational for Evolution from Footlock Event:

Ascent techniques are increasingly used by tree climbers to ascend into the canopy of a tree. It is common for climbers to use a dedicated ascent line. This ascent line remains in place for the duration of works, thereby facilitating the speed of ascent for subsequent climbers e.g. when multiple climbers work in the same canopy or for emergency access.

A wide range of dedicated ascent techniques are now used in the tree care industry. Some ascent techniques are well known such as Rope Walker SRT, others are regionally common but otherwise relatively unheard of, e.g. the French ‘short Footlock’. At present, competitors in an ISA format TCC must adopt a specified ascent technique in the preliminary event that assesses a climber’s ability to ascend a free hanging rope, i.e. ‘Long Footlock’.

Equally, the ability of a climber to convert to descent is very important. This is particularly relevant when an ascent is aborted whilst the climber has yet to ascend into an area of the canopy that possesses anchor points of suitable and sufficient strength to allow the installation of a work positioning or descending system. The ascent line must then be used for descent.

The evolution to an Ascent Event requires considerable effort to permit change. In addition, development in technical knowledge on the part of gear check technicians may be required.

13. GregManning

"X ASCENT EVENT"

Who or where did you get the info ?
    Your info loop is obviously better than mine !

14. Riggs

Riggs Well-Known Member

I'll be there , I'm taking notes . My feedback will be here on treebuzz . Game on !

15. marlinspiker

marlinspiker Well-Known Member

is this in lieu of the foot lock?

16. GregManning

ASCENT EVENT
    It is not listed in the 2014 Rules (Issued June 11, 2014).
    Footlock is still listed.

17. Tara2

Tara2 Active Member

The draft rules were emailed out to my wife as a competitor. Doesn't sound likely that it'll be at chapter level any time soon. The demo at the ITCC on the weekend was as impenetrable to me as the one a few years ago in Parramatta. I assumed the draft rules were emailed out so that those demoing it at Milwaukee could come to grips with it. My prediction on the draft X rules I would think that points will compress to most climbers being within 10% of maximum most of the time - as soon as the most efficacious system is identified; and the lay spectators will simply shrug their shoulders and walk off to something else....

18. Tree Access

Tree Access Member

Does a single toothed rope clamp already count as one attachment to the rope, or is it just a "half" one? :)
    Could lead to some funny discussions, at least with me...

19. Tara2

Tara2 Active Member

I don't know - you'd need to check with the handful of people on the planet that are capable of teching the event...

20. Tree Access

Tree Access Member

Haha, maybe some of them jump in here! :)

Until then we could share our personal views:
    For me, one toothed ascender alone is not enough for an ascent system, and I dont think there are many out there who do so (but I can be wrong, I know!). So 2 toothed ascenders would be backing up each other to one real attachment to the rope, as long as one is always loaded (because for me one loaded ascender counts as attachment.
    But does this system already qualify for a "serial redundancy"?
    I know I am splitting hairs here, but I really believe that thinking about such basic stuff is important for us rope climbers, and I am often surprised how many do not do it...

How do you handle/decide that at the Taranaki Open?