Arborwear like climb pants with knee pad inserts in place?

Bango Skank

US Army is in the process of phasing out the ACU uniforms, and I think the pants check all or almost all of the boxes. Definitely reinforced seat, reinforced knees with inner knee pad pockets, plenty of pockets, gusseted crotch, comfy in hot weather. Mine fell apart pretty fast back in 06 and 07, but I believe they really did improve the material and construction since then.

Not expensive either.

*edit* maybe 1st sentence is misleading, they're phasing out the UCP pattern on the ACU, so just changing color/ pattern. Still we can expect to see some surplus available.

Last edited:

climbstihl

US Army is in the process of phasing out the ACU uniforms, and I think the pants check all or almost all of the boxes. Definitely reinforced seat, reinforced knees with inner knee pad pockets, plenty of pockets, gusseted crotch, comfy in hot weather. Mine fell apart pretty fast back in 06 and 07, but I believe they really did improve the material and construction since then.

Not expensive either.

*edit* maybe 1st sentence is misleading, they're phasing out the UCP pattern on the ACU, so just changing color/ pattern. Still we can expect to see some surplus available.
Yeah, they're fine, but I think the pockets could me better for climbing. The lower leg pockets are great though.
Also, it can sometimes be a challenge to get some that are well fitted, a lot of them come quite baggy.

jdevogel

@Peetle that is pretty cool you guys do custom sizing... and a darn good idea. folks might be on the smaller or larger ends of the size spectrum with limited options, and willing a dish out a bit more for something that works. It's not so much us, as it is the factories with min orders... SIP looks like some nice gear, glad to see they are taking care of all size ranges.

Question for you @Peetle - is Clogger made in NZ, or in-house? That would definitely give you an easier time with one-off sizing, custom orders and such.

@oldoakman I'll keep on pushing for more smaller and bigger sizes. I'll tell you this... a ton of smaller tree workers raised a ruckus about XS shirts for years - guess what, we've now got em'. The more people you can get to call in, in-person the more likely they are to make the product / size. It's like congress, if they don't hear from enough people in-person they figure no-one cares lol.

If you work for a company, have a manager call in and say "I'm with company X, and I'm looking for gear for my crew but you can't fit all my guys. Why don't you carry 40 waist pants?"

I'll raise the issue though in the meantime and see what we can figure out. Thanks man.

Peetle

@Peetle that is pretty cool you guys do custom sizing... and a darn good idea. folks might be on the smaller or larger ends of the size spectrum with limited options, and willing a dish out a bit more for something that works. It's not so much us, as it is the factories with min orders... SIP looks like some nice gear, glad to see they are taking care of all size ranges.

Question for you @Peetle - is Clogger made in NZ, or in-house? That would definitely give you an easier time with one-off sizing, custom orders and such.

@oldoakman I'll keep on pushing for more smaller and bigger sizes. I'll tell you this... a ton of smaller tree workers raised a ruckus about XS shirts for years - guess what, we've now got em'. The more people you can get to call in, in-person the more likely they are to make the product / size. It's like congress, if they don't hear from enough people in-person they figure no-one cares lol.

If you work for a company, have a manager call in and say "I'm with company X, and I'm looking for gear for my crew but you can't fit all my guys. Why don't you carry 40 waist pants?"

I'll raise the issue though in the meantime and see what we can figure out. Thanks man.
Thanks J De Vogel. Everything single thing we sell is made in house, In New Zealand!!! It definitely makes life a lot easier for doing custom sized items, although it is often quite disruptive to the production line. It also enables us to do custom labeling/branding on them, which can only be done during the production process. We are super proud to be able to say that we employ a lot of local people to participate in the process of creating our gear, and we are always trying to find more to add to the crew!

jdevogel

@Peetle that's awesome. Thanks for all the info! Pros and cons to both approaches as far as sourcing is concerned, that is for sure. It's like the old saying "You can make some people happy most of the time, or most people happy some of the time." Something like that... lol

erwin

Jdevogel, I just talked to Nicole (Mandy is not available when I tried to call twice). I’m very happy to have the feeling that u guys r really an inovitive company willing to listen to ur customers. Hopefully soon I’ll have a pair of ascender or canopy on me with my inputs on them! Will see if this will happen.

jdevogel

Thanks @erwin! That's good to hear Nicole took care of ya. We certainly try our best here - the field testers and customers like yourself are our first line of feedback for any product enhancements or fixes.

Thanks again