Arborjet

Discussion in 'Pesticides and Ferts' started by Tyler Durden, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

So, I am doing my first arborjet injection today. I was wondering if any of you PHC wizards have any tips or tricks should know. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Nish and JD3000 like this.
  2. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

First, how old is the tree and how thick is the bark? This can be a factor for drilling depth on older trees with thick bark.

The plug should sit below the outer bark but flush with the inner bark. Look at the Arbor jet info regarding "too shallow and too deep" for example pictures.

Type of tree will determine pressure for the IV. Hardwoods at 35 or so but I think some oaks require higher.
    Conifers and sometimes cherries will try to plug wounds with pitch/gums/resins etc so have the IV pressurized and bled out before plugs are set.

Have an empty bucket with you to bleed out air in lines before injecting so as not to introduce potential embolisms. Slowly and carefully turn needle valve and watch the fluid push out the air. Do this for each needle and stop when it reaches the end. Big emphasis on just barely opening the needle valve here.

What product are you injecting?

I use distilled or RO water to avoid potential interactions with minerals and other contaminants in well and city water.

deevo likes this.
  3. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah...time of day and soil moisture.

Make sure there's soil moisture the day before and get there in the morning, not afternoon. Translocation slows or shuts down and injection becomes near impossible, especially with Tree Age.

4. deevo

deevo Well-Known Member

Good points, trees transpiration starts to slow down in the afternoon we usually try and stop around 230 pm, also sunnier days the trees will pull it up better then cloudier days. We use ima jet up here in the great white north no tree Age ( not approved yet)

JD3000 likes this.
  5. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

Govt regulations aside, the solubility of injected imidacloprid has been questionable at best after dissections have shown injection points that have demonstrated that the insecticide has mostly stayed near the injection point with localized necrosis and wood discoloration.

That pink formulation is supposedly much better.

6. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

7. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

Well @Durden...the suspense is just boring me to tears. Resorted to drinking beer.

TimBr and TreeVB like this.
  8. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

There you are @JD3000... slithering around in the Phallicide & Farts forum. Giving homeless, addict trees injections of who knows what concoction you brewed up in your attic.

Did you pause at some point, and I missed it?

Hey, bro... does dogwood anthracnose affect those red twigged dogwood shrubs? One of my nutty clients called to ask me this, and I honestly couldn't remember. But I figure you probably have a petri dish full of the stuff, trying to cross it with psilocybin 'shrooms so you can get the dog trippin' some happy crappy.

JD3000 and evo like this.
  9. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

What were seeing now on the shrub dogwoods is usually Septoria leaf spot. Late leason priblem. No worries

JeffGu likes this.
  10. Tyler Durden

I will get you guys the names of my products here in a bit. I have been super busy with my wife and baby. It was a fert, and a fungicide, injected in to a hackberry.[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Tyler Durden

So I applied Quali-Pro Propiconazole and Mauget Stemix HP Fertilizer.

12. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Thanks, man. I'll drop off some Bonide for her to play with.

JD3000 likes this.
  13. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

Tyler, usually start injecting at the root flair.

Sick Hackberry? They're usually indestructible here

Vinnie Punches likes this.
  14. Tyler Durden

The tree was a large co dom trunk, I figured that would be a good place to be above any interfering stuff from included bark and what not. The tree was showing fruting bodies of some kind of fungi and has virtually no form of CODIT going on at previous cuts. The tree is the clients prized tree in the yard and she wanted to fertilize it. She then mentioned she keeps breaking shelf fungus off the root flair before the dog could eat it. I didn't have any samples so a general fertilization and a fungicide was what I figured was in order. The client also mentioned that she was unhappy with the last guys soil treatment for the tree and wanted to try a more aggressive approach.

15. Tyler Durden

I am really just winging it here to be honest with you. I have what amounts to a rudimentary knowledge of plant biology and a whole hell of a lot of Drive, so I bought this system to try and learn it.

If any one is interested I could get another at a good price.

16. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

Hhhmmmmmmm...

17. Tyler Durden

Hhmmmm?

18. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

Indeed...

19. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

I'm...thinking you may have done more harm than good...

Drilling a tree that had basal conks on it may have breached a compartmentalized area and Propiconazole doesnt have any labeling for controlling decay fungi.

Furthermore, that fert injection may have been beneficial from a secondary and micronutrient standpoint but any positive results will be relatively shortly lived.

Improving the rooting and growing conditions from a sustainable standpoint may have been a better course of action. Homeowner may want more "aggressive" and immediate results but longterm health is far more important if the tree is salvageable.

Vinnie Punches, jed1124 and evo like this.
  20. evo

evo Well-Known Member

Airspade that shit, backfill with composted wood chips and perhaps add some myro. Don't forget to water, and cross your fingers and toes.

Fertilizer will just feed the fungi more...

Vinnie Punches, JoshR and oakwilt like this.