Approved Mechanical Devices

Raven

There are so many available now I think I need clarification on which are currently approved for ITCC use. The ITCC website doesn't show any recent advisories but reviewing all the old advisories we find some useful nuggets. I'll just start this as a list and replies can add or subtract from that list or add comments. I'm referring to both MRS and SRS system components.

These are currently approved or have been seen in action at Internationals:

ISC Rope wrench system
ART SpiderJack3
ISC D4 and D5
Petzl Rig and I'd
Petzl ZigZag for MRS, (with Chicane for SRS?)
Taz Lov2

Still wondering about the following:

ISC RopeRunner?
Ropetek HitchHiker?
RE Unicender?
RE Akimbo?

Last edited:

colb

ISC Rope wrench - not life support
ART SpiderJack3 - mrt is more traditional, like testing for the ISA climbing cert.
Does anyone actually use the other two for tree climbing?

Tony

There are so many available now I think I need clarification on which are currently approved for ITCC use. The ITCC website doesn't show any recent advisories but reviewing all the old advisories we find some useful nuggets. I'll just start this as a list and replies can add or subtract from that list or add comments. I'm referring to both MRS and SRS system components.

These are currently approved (in writing)
ISC Rope wrench - specific configuration required?
ART SpiderJack3
ISC D4 and D5
Petzl Rig and I'd

I find no mention of the following:
Petzl Zig-Zag? - with Chicane for SRS?
ISC RopeRunner?
Ropetek HitchHiker?
RE Unicender?
RE Akimbo?
Zig zag is fine at ITCC
I don’t know specifically about the chicane, but I would imagine it will be fine as well

Tony

Tony

It was used last year. I don’t recall seeing it in the work climb, but it was definitely at the ascent event and Masters’

Tony

CanadianStan

It was used last year. I don’t recall seeing it in the work climb, but it was definitely at the ascent event and Masters’

Tony
In a LOT of ascent events. It’s got the required certifications

Akimbo is a no atm

Roperunner no

saucerboy

As long as it has CE and EN certifications, you can use it.

ISC RopeRunner no
Ropetek HitchHiker no
RE Unicender no
RE Akimbo no
Petzl ZigZag for MRS yes
Petzl ZigZag + Chicane for SRS no
Petzl ZigZag 2019 + Chicane for SRS yes
Petzl ZigZag 2019 for MRS yes
ART products for MRS yes
TAZ LOV2 yes

With TAZ, Rig, ID... you have to use both hands for descent or you can be DQ

saucerboy

Why no orginal zigzag plus the chicane? It's designed and started to work SRT on all version of the zigzag... See This product page
I think the Chicane is certified to be used only with the new models of zigzag and zigzag plus (image from page 7 of technical notice). It will probably work just fine with older models, but I´m guessing it will not be allowed for ISA comps.

Attachments

COtreerat

These are currently approved or have been seen in action at Internationals:

ISC Rope wrench system
ART SpiderJack3
ISC D4 and D5
Petzl Rig and I'd
Petzl ZigZag for MRS, (with Chicane for SRS?)
Taz Lov2

Still wondering about the following:

ISC RopeRunner?
Ropetek HitchHiker?
RE Unicender?
RE Akimbo?
Why is the Singing Tree RR not approved? Does it have something to do with it being midline attachable and relying on slic pins to attach to the line?