Any suggestions for climbing 'drills'/practice-routines? Am new & want to improve techniques!

Tony

I’d learn to tie about two dozen knots. Then I would look up tree biology and get a smattering of knowledge on why trees grow on earth as opposed to huge ferns. Then I would learn about basic rope construction, the major differences in types, how rope is balanced through “z” and “s” twists, what elongation in cordage really means.

Then I would go climb and ponder how to use my newly acquired knot, biology and rope lessons.

Everybody wants to run before they walk. Walking is way easier on the body.

Tony

John@TreeXP

Without resistance, is it just cable and pulley? Stepping down w left foot raises right handle?
Yes and even with minimal resistance, it's still a great cardio workout. Builds tone, endurance and strengthens climbing muscles. Before my workout and to warm up, I usually do 4 or 5 sets of 20 which produces far better results than the elliptical, stairclimber or the treadmill.

Chaplain242

Yes and even with minimal resistance, it's still a great cardio workout. Builds tone, endurance and strengthens climbing muscles. Before my workout and to warm up, I usually do 4 or 5 sets of 20 which produces far better results than the elliptical, stairclimber or the treadmill.
Obviously for a gym machine creates a more balanced movement, does it affect your technique in tree much when using your chosen frog/ropewalker etc because of the different muscle memory movement??

John@TreeXP

Obviously for a gym machine creates a more balanced movement, does it affect your technique in tree much when using your chosen frog/ropewalker etc because of the different muscle memory movement??
Yes, for the better. I'm much less fatigued after an ascent and barely break a sweat in some cases. The vertical climbing machine helps a lot, but so does doing reverse leg lifts which primarily works the hamstrings. This is mainly for ropewalking, but there are other crunch like exercises that are better suited for doing the frog-walking/sit-stand climbing method.

southsoundtree

Not saying I don't do it, it is fun, but I don’t like doing it. If I want to bomb out a long way I'll use an 8 or something mechanical.

A figure-8 or a tube-style rappel device, for no twist, can be put on a sling above your hitch, providing auto-lock protection. Loosen your hitch a lot, and it will all be on the rappel device.
In rock climbing, people are terrible at backing-up rappels, so I thought I'd mention.

CanadianStan

The book "On Rope" has a pic of a rope treadmill setup to practice ascents. might be helpful for developing climbing stamina.
WHAT

Can you post a photo of it, or describe it ... that sounds badass. i've been milling around an idea in my head for a while but it always involved a second to belay ...

Here it is
Just saw this.
also I found a digital copy of On Rope, freely distributed. https://epdf.pub/queue/on-rope.html

I'm going to try to set this up ; is that a rappel rack ? I wonder if a Safebloc could be used effectively

Last edited:

climbstihl

A figure-8 or a tube-style rappel device, for no twist, can be put on a sling above your hitch, providing auto-lock protection. Loosen your hitch a lot, and it will all be on the rappel device.
In rock climbing, people are terrible at backing-up rappels, so I thought I'd mention.
Thats how i do it, I know rock climbers are terrible at stuff like that.

Mowerr

WHAT

Can you post a photo of it, or describe it ... that sounds badass. i've been milling around an idea in my head for a while but it always involved a second to belay ...

Just saw this.
also I found a digital copy of On Rope, freely distributed. https://epdf.pub/queue/on-rope.html

I'm going to try to set this up ; is that a rappel rack ? I wonder if a Safebloc could be used effectively
Thank-you for that link. You made my day

climbstihl

WHAT

Just saw this.

Thanks for that link, I was looking for something like that. I just got about 100 pdfs from scribd (free trial), including the tree climbers companion, the ISA's Tree climbing guide, lots of rescue, rope access, tree felling and pruning guides, and a very comprehensive guide on growing fruit that I'll find good use for. All that literature gives me something to read when sitting in the car for a couple of hours a day.

CanadianStan

Thanks for that link, I was looking for something like that. I just got about 100 pdfs from scribd (free trial), including the tree climbers companion, the ISA's Tree climbing guide, lots of rescue, rope access, tree felling and pruning guides, and a very comprehensive guide on growing fruit that I'll find good use for. All that literature gives me something to read when sitting in the car for a couple of hours a day.
Want to forward some of those over? I've yet to find a good book on true fruit production pruning (new wood, late wood, spurs, etc). Also I've been looking for Douglas Dent's felling book ... but if it's as good as it's cracked up to be, I'll end up buying that to support Mr Dent

timmysaint

Thats how i do it, I know rock climbers are terrible at stuff like that.
I use an autoblock on my leg loop- but as an ex- ice/alpine climber (pre-kids), I agree we were pretty bad about backing up rappels. Especially the Rockies crowd (Jdot-Canmore). The first time I saw that setup you're talking about was with a Euro, and I was like:

"Yeah, I get it. Seems a smart thing to do..."

EDIT *** I use the autoblock on my leg loop with the figure-8 on my rope bridge when descending. Not an autoblock to a friction hitch. Sounded weird.

Tony

Alright, take this with a grain of salt... I am biased.

BUT, as a published author getting another’s work for “free” is wrong. I don’t give a damn about legality. I give even less of a damn about your $$ situation.

If you want the knowledge, buy the fucking book. If you really enjoy the book, meet the author and get it signed.

Those epub sites are the equivalent of the low bidding hack mother fucker who many of you bitch about on a regular basis.

Now don’t me wrong by downloading On Rope for free you are not gunna make or brake Bruce or Allen. In fact, they will never know. However, you are taking what they offer and returning nothing.

Fucking disrespectful shallow and self centered.

If you want it for free have the respect and self confidence to at least ask them.

Tony

SeanRuel

BUT, as a published author getting another’s work for “free” is wrong. I don’t give a damn about legality. I give even less of a damn about your $$ situation.

If you want the knowledge, buy the fucking book. If you really enjoy the book, meet the author and get it signed.

Those epub sites are the equivalent of the low bidding hack mother fucker who many of you bitch about on a regular basis.

Now don’t me wrong by downloading On Rope for free you are not gunna make or brake Bruce or Allen. In fact, they will never know. However, you are taking what they offer and returning nothing.

If you want it for free have the respect and self confidence to at least ask them.

Tony
Not everything in the world needs to be fully monetized. There is beauty in the sharing of knowledge.

I bought the book and have in the past loaned it to my climbing friends, clearly not a moral failing in my mind. I saw a fellow tree person asking for information I had access to, so I shared it.

Imo that's kinda the best thing about this site, sharing what we know. It's what I'm here for anyways

John@TreeXP

Having a political discussion about the philosophy of open source is ludicrous. If the sun shines equally on everyone without reservations and trees offer shade and nourishment to anyone within it's vicinity, than why should creativity be restricted to only those rich enough to enjoy such luxuries? A flower, for example has one purpose, to reach for the heavens and blossom without consideration for who gets to enjoy the celestial fragrances it produces. Why should selfish humans be any different and why must one get to profit at the expense of others, when we are part of one collective? I'm also a published author, but if anyone asks me for a free copy of my book/s, I'll gladly send it to them without hesitation.

Last edited:

Chaplain242

Tony
Sorry to take with a grain of salt but I have bought many a book with ‘good reviews’ only to realise I have been ripped off - typically because here we have to order everything as you won’t find a lot on the shelf (so even the situation whereby you buy a magazine you see in the corner store you can see whether the articles are good or not and make an informed decision is not available.

In this age you can get the summary of almost any subject online in some form or other - even on these forums.

I personally don’t likevreading books/long articles online as it is usually bad for your eyes, an I remember more of what I read in print.

I have used Scribd previously and it has saved me many a bad purchase. Anything I really like I look out for - but some out of print books are now in speculators hands and I won’t be paying scalpers prices thanks.

If I go to the library am I ripping an author off? If I read a friends book, or book exchange am I ripping author off? Even if I go to the library if I find a worthy book I will put it on my wanted list.

I suppose I think of it as an honor thing - if it’s worthy I will get a copy. But if out of print - fair game to share it out as the publisher doesn’t think it’s worth continuing. But if it is a ham fisted attempt to trick a learner out of their hard earned money - stuff em... do I hear anyone complain about Amazon reviews? What about google docs previews?

Mowerr

Yea a lot of book stores tell me on rope is out of print and they can't get it. Im going to buy it for the reasons Tony expressed anyways. But right now I don't trust making purchases online from many places.

John@TreeXP

Yea a lot of book stores tell me on rope is out of print and they can't get it. Im going to buy it for the reasons Tony expressed anyways. But right now I don't trust making purchases online from many places.
I think I bought a used copy of On Rope a while back on B&N. Used books are usually very affordable.