Another name for over 40's

Another name for over 40\'s

Hi, All,
This idea was spurred by some comments in the new posts of the women in this forum that's why I put it here, but please feel free to move it if need be.
I would LOVE to see the "Geezer" name retired.
Anyone in this profession over 40 and still alive and physically intact (even with aches & pains) deserves a respectful title that reflects this accomplishment.
So since we work with trees... along the West coast there are redwood trees 100's of years old that have survived storms, fires & logging. They are known as giant redwoods. But THEN there are redwood trees that have survived thousands of years and they are known as Titans.
How about women and men of the Titan level?
And then within that category there can be skill levels such as rookie, intermediate and master Titan.
Just a thought to begin more thoughts...
-Diane-

familytree

Re: Another name for over 40\'s

it seems you are taking the geezer name a bit serious. As a younger climber I look forward to geezer title because of all of the other "geezers" before me. The name shows respect without being too serious. Calling someone a Titan is like adding water to a toy sponge dinasaur. Just add a compliment and watch there heads grow. I'm a bigger fan of being modest and respected.

TreeCo

[ QUOTE ]
"How about women and men of the Titan level?
And then within that category there can be skill levels such as rookie, intermediate and master Titan."
-Diane-

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see using a term a little more respectful than 'Geezers' but 'Titan' is going too far the other way. Titans in their own minds, maybe! LOL.

Increasing knowledge can make up and even more than make up for declining physical ability but eventually.......well, we all know how the story winds down and ends.

i kind of dig being a geezer :). such a tongue-in-cheek thing to say about someone who climbs at height using ropes and weilding sharp instruments, don't ya think?

i hope you won't let the chorus of disagreement keep you from posting another thread. it's all about information exchange..

k.

Blinky

Yep, I wear my Geezer status on my shirtsleeve... but then, I'm not exactly the serious type.

Welcome to the Buzz. Like Kathy says, keep posting. We almost never agree around here, that's why it's fun.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning

Just my spin on the term of endearment.

There are two versions of geezers I think. There are lower case 'g' geezers who are over the hill, or branch/tree who are over 40 years old and are out to pasture in mind, spirit and ability.

Then there are upper case 'G' Geezers who are over 40 years old and are still switched on, learning, growing and competeing. The Geezers are a group who are involved in the profession and are mentors to pre-Geezers.

The term Titan is a good one for sure. A while ago I needed a really heavy weight throwbag for a system. There was a large New Tribe 20 oz. bag that I never used. After slitting the bag, adding the remains of two torn bags and sewing the bag shut I ended up with a nice two pound bag. Now it was time to name the bag. I settled on Titan because of it's size and ability.

Blinky

In whitewater slalom competition the over 40 set is "The Masters"... but that one's already been taken in the tree comps.
Geezers is kinda fitting, you see a lot more huffing and puffing at the Geezers Challenge than regular comps.

easyphloem

I love the Geezers!

The amount of knowledge and wisdom that the over 40 climber crowd brings to the table is monumental, even Titan-esque.

When I call someone a Geezer Climber, I am admitting that I have much to learn from them, and hope to one day join the ranks.

You're on the right track though, Diane. I feel like as long as people know we are not disrespecting our elders, we shouldn't have to worry about semantics.

SZ

[ QUOTE ]
2 more years...Im in. How bout "Old Mofo's". If Im a Titan, I wanna sword to weild.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, during those two years you can comfort yourself by knowing that grey on your head makes you already look Geezeresque.

52 now so I´ve probably earned my geezer "wings". Still climbing but not able to put in all the energy rookies use. But there´s something called working smart that works quite well for me. Anyway, geezer have a simular expression in Norwegian - Stratt - but not by any means used in respect. The definition is someone that finally have figured everything out, finished his last thought, and is never going to change his mind or learn something new for the rest of his life! Sounds familiar?

Jman

I know someone at work who uses the tautline and swears body thrusting 90 feet is the only way to climb trees. Personally Titan fits. Its has a nice ring to it and being a little whipper snapper I'd be very bless to learn anything from a titan.

GEEZER here - I earned that title

titan to me is some HUGH thing - which even though my voice is strong - i am not

jz

[ QUOTE ]
[...] The definition is someone that finally have figured everything out, finished his last thought, and is never going to change his mind or learn something new for the rest of his life! Sounds familiar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, sounds like a 13 year old.

Diane,

I like the Titan title, but since I'm not a Titan or a Geezer, I can't say either way. I do feel bad though when I have to refer to someone as a Geezer or an old timer.

At our TCC, we call the over 40 competition the Old Timers Comp. Is that bad?

By the way, at Arbor Camp this last weekend, we had a mini-competition, and Lori K, who happens to be a Titan, "cleaned my clock", so I have every respect in the world for Titans, Geezers and Old Timers!! You guys ROCK!!!

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, at Arbor Camp this last weekend, we had a mini-competition, and Lori K, who happens to be a Titan, "cleaned my clock", so I have every respect in the world for Titans, Geezers and Old Timers!! You guys ROCK!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a pic of Lori!!

Attachments