Angled back cuts

Scratch

I've been cutting like 15 cords a year for the past 11 years ever since I bought my outdoor wood burner. My older brother has been cutting about 15 years longer than me for his outdoor wood burner. I was walking on his property today and noticed he drops trees with angled back cuts and poor hinges, and judging by the age of some of the stumps, has been doing it for quite a while.
He's one of those "know it all" types...

Do I tell him how to cut down trees, or let it go?
1.jpg2.jpg

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Get hold of Jeff Jepson's 'To Fell a Tree'

When I do a CSI...Cut Scene Investigation...and see stump cuts like you show I get a death chill. Lots of wrong thinking there. Don't be dissuaded by the rationalization that, "it works' That's relying on Luck only

southsoundtree

I had a customer who was sloppy cutting alders like that. Cutting until he felt them popping under his feet...until...luckily a tree sat back. I could see fractures in the stumps that were starting to split.

Angled back-cut are for pros who know when to use them accurately...If I can't get a flat back-cut, I will cut a sloping cut, like tight between two stems, but still achieve a fine hinge. No wedging. People use them for bore-cut releases in Europe, something about a dog's fang.

Bango Skank

Looks like zero actual hinge. Like a weak suggestion of where he wants it to lay, with no real control.

It seems a waste of fire wood with the high stumps.
High stumps can add some leverage if he plans on having a dozer or excavator yank them out. Otherwise, yeah ALAP them.

southsoundtree

It might help if you showed him using a stick to represent the trunk, cut with a straight blade handsaw (carpentry saw. if you don't have a straight tree-saw blade). Pound it into the ground, like its rooted.

Easy demo for a newb.

Scratch

It might help if you showed him using a stick to represent the trunk, cut with a straight blade handsaw (carpentry saw. if you don't have a straight tree-saw blade). Pound it into the ground, like its rooted.

Easy demo for a newb.
Yeah I think I'm going to try explaining it to him then show him that YT video of the guy cutting 2" trees with a handsaw. I think it's a deer habitat video or something.

Edit: this one

rico

I've been cutting like 15 cords a year for the past 11 years ever since I bought my outdoor wood burner. My older brother has been cutting about 15 years longer than me for his outdoor wood burner. I was walking on his property today and noticed he drops trees with angled back cuts and poor hinges, and judging by the age of some of the stumps, has been doing it for quite a while.
He's one of those "know it all" types...

Do I tell him how to cut down trees, or let it go?
View attachment 58592View attachment 58593
Just saw a help wanted add for a felling position at Murphys Tree Service. Might want to give your bro a heads up as it seems like it might be a good fit?

Last edited: