ALUMINUM RING FAILURE

rich_h

It has been brought to my attention that several Aluminum Rings that I have sold have been independently tested and have FAILED at extremely low strengths. I have no idea if the rings in question are the same ones as TLHamel's post:

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=72565&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

but even if they are not the same I would highly recommend pulling any of the gold aluminum rings from use until further information is put out. The manufacturer of the rings has been informed of these failures and they are investigating. They have not issued a recall as of yet, but if anyone has bought them from me at Lanphear Supply and I have not contacted you yet :

PLEASE STOP USING THE RINGS !!!!!!

I will collect the rings from you at our cost and either refund your purchase or supply you with replacements as soon as all of this is worked out. If you would rather switch to steel rings I will make that swap as well.

If you have any questions on this please contact me either through pm or email. I am sorry that I can only speak for the rings that I have sold. If I get word of a full recall or any other pertinent info I will post it here.

rich

rich_h

Thank you Tom for the sticky note, I really appreciate it.

A huge thanks to Rob Bramblett who did the independent testing on this product. The test was very professionally done and was fully documented. The manufacturer of the rings will receive all of the testing data to help them in their investigations. Thanks again Rob, great job.

pancake

Just 3 of us that work at Poteet Tree Service. We are developing some innovative products and want to hold and document thoroughly field trials prior to letting others use them. We felt that it was our responsibility to insure the products we are making meet or exceed industry standards. We have gathered as much data on these failures including video of the break tests that we have sent to the manufacturer and Rich. A big thank you to Rich and Lanphear Supply for acting quickly and professionally.

TreeCo

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you, Poteet crew. I'm not crazy after all. I wonder if my ring would have failed at 1800# pull?!

[/ QUOTE ]

As it turns out were on to something serious with your broken aluminum ring. Good find! Way to go Rob and Rich H. with the follow up testing. Lives are at risk.

No_Bivy

[ QUOTE ]
One broke at 1800# also. And for the record 3 didn't break, we stopped at 6000 and 7000.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting, the ones I tested were professionally done, all tested out above 10k. You tested 5 rings total?Who is the manafacturer? heres my tests.
Still don't think we can say all aluminum is bad, maybe a bad batch. Were they pulled slowly or shock loaded?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58RI4btu8yE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOhfvtOf_aM

No_Bivy

I tested it like I use em', but, with that said each ring should test at least 5k, IMO. Might be a bad batch? Who makes em, we know everyone sells them.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
How was the load applied to the rings? Winch? Comealong? Truck? How was the ring secured? I can see that you used a dyno. Can you show the whole setup?

Break testing on a hydraulic machine like No bivy used has repeatable and controllable results.

TreeCo

[ QUOTE ]
How was the load applied to the rings? Winch? Comealong? Truck? How was the ring secured? I can see that you used a dyno. Can you show the whole setup?

Break testing on a hydraulic machine like No bivy used has repeatable and controllable results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Testing on a hydraulic machine doesn't mean squat if the rings tested are not from the same source as the photos of the failed rings. Also note not all of the rings are failing.

After two members have posted photos of what looks like failed rings from the same manufacturer it may be a good time to stop drilling the testers and instead look at the rings.

RogerM

I only saw the "gold plated" small rings. were any
test done on the non plated one's. NoBivy's tests are
pretty convincing.

rich_h

The information I received showed that only the 28 mm gold rings broke. The 46 mm silver looking ones apparently tested out fine. I only sent down one of the 28 mm rings in silver so I don't know if that one was tested.

rich_h

One more fact to point out is that I did not send the rings to Rob to have him test them. He did the testing on his own so that he would be certain that the products he made would be strong enough. Up till this point I have been relying on the testing information supplied by the manufacturer, as of now that will change.

The credit for finding these faults is owed to Rob and his crew. I am just the lucky recipient of some of the information.