Altec Heartland

Discussion in 'Crane Use' started by BzRman, Sep 19, 2017.

1. BzRman

BzRman Member

Anyone have any information or first hand experience with this set up? I've read everything I can on the internet, just wondering if you guys have any thoughts, experience or even just a random opinion on this unit.

2. Steve Connally

Steve Connally Well-Known Member

I feel like there are better options. The boom is short and the capacities are much lower than the palfinger models. Plus its Altec so it'll cost more for the branding.

3. LiTreeService

LiTreeService Member

Lmfao I can't believe that's what they named it. Altec really knows how to turn something cool into something gay as fuck. I guess it goes with their inferior truck compared to a tree mek

NE Tree likes this.
  4. tc262

tc262 Well-Known Member

I love how Altec puts on their website "Altec’s fully hydraulic remote controlled tree removal device is the first of its kind." Lol what a load of bs

5. dbl612

dbl612 Active Member

alter should stick to making bucket trucks. their cranes are just wiggle wagons

deevo and LiTreeService like this.
  6. BzRman

BzRman Member

I certainly understand where you guys are coming from but there are a few points I should clear up.

First I've never dealt with altec but I did get a rough estimate of $300,000 (CDN) for this unit. That's a tough pill to swallow for what it is, at least in my mind.

2nd in Canada there are drastically different laws on what cranes we can legally operate. As far as I understand I could not operate a 40 ton kboom without investing 1000's of hrs as an apprentice. So these smaller kbooms are the only real option for some of us.

When comparing palfinger, effer, Fassi etc. you need to compare apples to apples.

Im kind of in limbo on whether a similiar setup would be profitable. In your opinion is this type of set up seem worth it?

7. Steve Connally

https://www.altec.com/site/uploads/EC175-5S-FG.pdf

So that's $244k USD. Probably the majority of that is for the brand new cab and chassis. 60' max vertical reach and around 53' horizontal at 110lbs with the saw head on it. If you compare apples to apples a turn key 43 meter ton palfinger unit is about 30 to 40k USD more. It comes on a used cab and chassis but the investment is in reach and capacity. I'm having a 50 meter ton crane built on a used cab and chassis with close to double the reach and 1400lb capacity at max without the saw. I'm thinking this is the junior version of the treemek. I can think of a few coastal communities where the trees max out at about 60' but you'd have to put the center boom rotation against the trunk to make it work. For my dollar this isn't a sound investment. I truly think you can do better and there are a bunch of guys who have through either Tiffin Crane or Westminster Hydraulics. I'm sure there are a bunch of others like Smith Trucks who sell Effer. Just my humble opinion. Lots and lots of homework to be done before deciding. My opinion as a for hire crane is the first time I come up short and cant get the job done in a reasonable time because of a short stick will be the last time they call me for a job. I really want to avoid that. When researching I tried to match the boom to the tree heights in my area and balance that with the budget. I would have loved to get a 60 but couldn't afford it and didn't want to loose accessibility due to truck size and weight.

deevo likes this.
  8. deevo

deevo Well-Known Member

Yeah way too much for that truck like Steve said , it's a peanut picker not even close to a tree meek, buy a Palfinger, additionally you can take and challenge the test if you own your own crane don't need 1000's of hours as an apprentice, you in Ontario?

Treeguymarion likes this.
  9. BzRman

BzRman Member

Really deevo? Tell me more. Never heard of this before. Now some of your post are making more sense now. Congrats on the purchase. Yep im in ontario.

I want to make it clear I'm not an effer guy. It would be between effer and palfinger, they're both close to me and both very comparable.

Thanks for your time too steve

Steve Connally likes this.
  10. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

I own a Effer. Some of the largest k-booms being used in tree work are Effer's. I however recommend going with a Palfinger if I were you. Especially if your trying to add a grapple saw to it.
    The only Effer dealer is in ohio and they don't approve a grapple saw on a crane. I know that sounds nuts especially since altec now owns effer! After much discussion they finally said they would put a 14 " gmt saw which comes on the heartland truck. The gmt don't have all the control features of the mecanil saw. That's why i just dropped my truck off at palfleet today.. That's right i own a Effer but had to drop it off at a Palfinger dealer to try to get them to figure out if they can put the mecanil on there.

KYAPLE likes this.
  11. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

20170919_141351.jpg steve the more i see the pk 50k series in person it makes me envy you. I think you made a great choice! Here's one in the background at tiffin crane

hseII and LiTreeService like this.
  12. Steve Connally

Thanks for that. Glad I did it but it was the maximum reach of the budget, that's for sure.!!

hseII, LiTreeService and islandedge like this.
  13. LiTreeService

LiTreeService Member

The lack of a fly jib in my opinion is a large in efficiency. Not having duel articulation creates a lot of obsticles

islandedge and Steve Connally like this.
  14. craneguy1

craneguy1 Well-Known Member

I took it as made for small trees...lack of a tandem axle truck limits the ability to mount a larger crane anyway...also; in the great scheme of things...on a brand new idea; how many people are going to drop 600k on a single truck? They have to feel the waters so to speak.

deevo likes this.