All of sudden scared

Discussion in 'Climber's Talk' started by Lyle SKillman, Nov 16, 2017.

?

Need some ideas

1. advice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. John_KAYS

John_KAYS Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's a great post from you. Not just because you complimented me, but it is obvious that you understand the circumstances well enough to really delve into the nuances of climbing on a daily basis. You took what I was trying to say in my post and really finished it off strong. This is a very demanding line of work and it takes it out of you. Just like the military, you need to have your wits about you or somebody could get hurt or worse.

Thanks again. You always have great posts and I have repeatedly benefitted from your research and point of view.

TimBr likes this.
  2. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Well-Known Member

I saw my best friend do the same thing. I went through something similar.
    It's what happens when you become responsible for more than yourself. All of what you know about potential dangers comes out.

Talk him into getting a GOOD life insurance policy and set up a trust to go with it for his kid. The peace of mind is important.
    Encourage a focus on understanding how failures in trees happen. It can take a while, but just that one factor (new dad) is enough to scare a great climber away from being his best and pushing himself.

Edit: i could have finished reading the thread before I jumped in with what was basically covered already. I just got excited because this was such a familiar topic.

cerviarborist likes this.
  3. jefftheswede

jefftheswede Member

I started climbing in 1978, I climbed for 25 years and then came the wife and kids,
    Now I am an operations manager of a bunch of bad ass climbers,
    But, now my stress level is higher because I don't worry about me,
    but I worry about all my guys
    Jeff

Huskyman and SomethingWitty like this.
  4. Scheffa

Scheffa Member

Good on you for not forcing him to climb, climbing day in day out certainly takes its toll on the mind and body.
    I think being understanding and talking with him about will be beneficial to both parties.

Climb hard and climb safe

TimBr likes this.
  5. PBrandt

PBrandt Member

It's encouraging to hear all the support for both Lyle and his new father/climber. Anxiety is a real thing and effects people in all kinds of unpredictable ways. Here's hoping that the climber can rediscover the love of climbing once he is better rested and life settles down a little.

TimBr likes this.