Alex Black

This is hard for me to share since I knew Alex and he was such a nice kid. I say kid but I know he was a grown man. I guess it's an age thing.

We lost a good kid yesterday. The details are still coming in but I thought I should share what I know. I got a call just after 2 this afternoon and it was from John who Alex works for. He wanted me to hear from him which I appreciate greatly.

The phone call which I hate getting was to inform me that Alex had an accident at work yesterday around 3:30 where he fell approximately 40 ft. As I was told he was ringing out one last piece of wood. He made the cut and the peace was being lowered when something happened and Alex said oh s***. When John turned around he saw Alex fall. they try to do everything they could and even a nurse from the school where they were working came out to try to help. Unfortunately his internal injuries where to severe for him to survive.

It's unknown why he fell at this time. OSHA came out and said everything looked pretty normal. I have a hard time with that statement. Everything looks pretty normal Alex would still be alive. I was told his robe and lanyard were not cut nor did he succumb to harness failure. I'm not sure what happened beyond that accept my best guess is he made a human error and somehow was not properly connected to the tree when he sat back expecting to be perfectly safe.

I'm sorry to all who are reading this that new Alex and want better answers. If they become available I will be sure to share. In the meantime send thoughts and prayers to his family and friends and please try to honor him by not falling to the same fate.

Too sad.
Seems like we hear about someone in this profession leaving this earth all too often lately.
Prayers for his family and friends and for the rest of us.
I know. This is why I've been so dedicated to traveling around the world for the last 20 years! If I can help to improve safety even by just 1 person working safer then it will all have been worth it. This just ignites my fire even more yo continue on this path.

My condolences to his family and all who knew him, I'm so sorry.

Osha says everything looked normal... soo is that it? Investigation is over and nobody learns how this happened? Hopefully there's more to follow.

He visited the buzz briefly too. http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/hey-alex-black-here-new-to-tree-buzzz.32343/

If anyone hears news of a fundraiser or something like that for his family please let me know.

Redtree

very sad. born in 87. he had just one keen post on treebuzz with a life of fun in trees ahead of him. I've made mistakes and near misses and 2 trips in an ambulance. I could have landed slightly different. Getting safer though and more aware of general lead ups to fatal mistakes. wake up every day, especially as a complacent pro, and remind yourself that you are in a profession of very high risk. slow down and don't over work, get more rest, go to bed earlier. And if you are tired and getting that last tree on the ground, ramp up your awareness and safety and remember those like Alex. It might be 6:30 PM. DONT SPEED UP, SLOW DOWN. No job or paycheck is that important. no shortcuts. zero tolerance. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

This is hard for me to share since I knew Alex and he was such a nice kid. I say kid but I know he was a grown man. I guess it's an age thing.

We lost a good kid yesterday. The details are still coming in but I thought I should share what I know. I got a call just after 2 this afternoon and it was from John who Alex works for. He wanted me to hear from him which I appreciate greatly.

The phone call which I hate getting was to inform me that Alex had an accident at work yesterday around 3:30 where he fell approximately 40 ft. As I was told he was ringing out one last piece of wood. He made the cut and the peace was being lowered when something happened and Alex said oh s***. When John turned around he saw Alex fall. they try to do everything they could and even a nurse from the school where they were working came out to try to help. Unfortunately his internal injuries where to severe for him to survive.

It's unknown why he fell at this time. OSHA came out and said everything looked pretty normal. I have a hard time with that statement. Everything looks pretty normal Alex would still be alive. I was told his robe and lanyard were not cut nor did he succumb to harness failure. I'm not sure what happened beyond that accept my best guess is he made a human error and somehow was not properly connected to the tree when he sat back expecting to be perfectly safe.

I'm sorry to all who are reading this that new Alex and want better answers. If they become available I will be sure to share. In the meantime send thoughts and prayers to his family and friends and please try to honor him by not falling to the same fate.
Very sad news, my condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P. Alex