Aerial Lifts

Glenn_Butler

I'm in the market for a new aerial lift. Specifically, I'm interested in comments on the Altecs and Hi-Rangers with 60'-65' working heights. Anyone have any experiences they would like to share?

klimbinfool

Hi Glenn, yes I have experience with both. Altec makes a nice machine. Might talk you into thier 74 ' foot sissor lift though. It is very versital.It will do just about anything you want and is very fast. Almost to fast.It's a front mount, where as High Rangers I believe is a rear mount. Myself i like the rear mount. It allows you to work off the back end without smashing up your tower with brush.This rig has only two out riggers also, even for its height ( rear). It will also allow you to go straight up vertically as well as straight out horizontal. One nice feature is that you can land the bucket on the ground, because of the over center capability.The bucket has a tilt ability for cleaning and areial rescue.This unit can come with a chipper box and tool boxws already on it, just add the chipper.Both Altec and High Ranger are similar and have other optionas as well, but you just need to decide wich one suits you the best. I believe the Altec is around 120 k new. You mifght be able to find a used one cheaper.However, the service rep we have is not the greatest and frankly , i 'm dissapointed with him. , but you might have better luck out there.

GReg

Glenn_Butler

Just got the quote on the addition of an elevator today. Adds an extra $14k. How much more productivity can I achieve with 75 ft. of working height compared to 65 ft? Also, how do you think the hand controls compare in user-friendliness? (Altecs & Hi-Rangers)

klimbinfool

Glenn, they seem to be comparable. Both are joice sticks and are very easy to use ..I think anyway.65' vrs 75' ? probably not a whole lot when your looking at straight height. However, if you take that extra ten feet and stretch over a 360' radius it adds up. When your doing alot of tip work, reaching to the back sides of trees. height, wich increases your knuckle height to bend over certain latterals, setting rigging lines in the right places ect... There are a mutitude of reasons for the extra height Glenn, but for 14 extra k..it might not. I run a 75' techo ( pretty much the same as a high Ranger) and also a 55' Altech over center.The Techo doesnt have over center capability like the Altec,only ten 10%, but I can do just as much with it because of its knuckle height.So, with the over center ability of a Altech or High Ranger and the elevator, it really increases your manuverability.. I think what you need to do is just demo them and try them out in a tree. The sales reps should be able to let you do that. See what one you prefer and go from there.

Greg