Addressing hitch binding with the Rope Wrench on descent

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by moss, Feb 4, 2016.

1. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

Right. Which differentiates it from the Hitch Hiker, if I'm thinking correctly. I just don't like dropping small parts and having to find them again, not that that seems likely with ClimbHy's setup.

I guess that is another major strength of the Rope Wrench; that it allows climbers to operate the same way on a single line as they used to on a doubled line, with regard to being able to use a hitch, and also still being dependent on it for life support.

The idea of the Rope Wrench was absolutely a stroke of genius.

Tim

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. ClimbHy

ClimbHy Member

200#

colb likes this.
  3. ClimbHy

ClimbHy Member

That's the one bad thing about srt as opposed to ddrt. I used to be 185#

4. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

Yeah. SRT is so easy, I can climb while eating donuts. Picture Homer Simpson in a TreeMotion saddle. D'oh!

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Z'sTrees and Levi.CO like this.
  5. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

Thanks Moss for starting a great discussion!

Tom Lynch, TimBr and moss like this.
  6. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@Drewtree started a really great thread that relates directly to the main issue of this thread. Because of the number of responses and the specificity of the answers he is likely to get, he was right to do it in an entirely separate thread. Well worth reading.

Here is my attempt at posting a link to that other thread, which has the title "Rope Wrench-Hitch/Rope compendium".

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/rope-wrench-hitch-rope-compendium.33714/

Thanks.

Tim

7. pdj317

pdj317 Active Member

I didn't see this discussed so if it has been forgive me but I always carry an ATC on my secondary bridge and for a long descent I can completely collapse the hitch(Michocan) and modulate my descent speed with the descender. It isn't much extra to carry and if should something happen with the Wrench you still have a way to descend.

Dave Rohach, Brocky, oceans and 2 others like this.
  8. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

2nd the use of a tubular belay device. I like the kind that has the v-grooves as it allows you to hold your weight easier. I use the ATC Sport that has just one slot, it's fast and easy with no tangling. They save a lot of wear on the hitch cord.

TimBr and Dave Rohach like this.
  9. pdj317

pdj317 Active Member

That's the one I carry also works great!

Brocky and Dave Rohach like this.
  10. John@TreeXP

John@TreeXP Member

Maybe a stupid question, but I'm a newbie climber and finding that my 30" eye&eye may be too long, as it gets jammed and bound up in the RW, which at times is causing my line to lock up. Should I switch to a 28"eye&eye, or is this something that'll correct itself when I eventually acquire a better climbing technique? This happened as I was using a neck attachment to the RW, for tending, along with a foot and knee ascender. My climbing lines are Sterling HTP 11mm, and Samson Predator 11mm.

Seems unfortunate how the Eye&eye sampler pack I bought from Wesspur were all 30" in length. I don't have any shorter eye&eye cords to try, at the moment, and I'm hoping to avoid more unnecessary gear expenditures.

11. moss

moss Well-Known Member

What hitch are you using?
    -AJ

12. John@TreeXP

John@TreeXP Member

• 9mm Rit Sewn Prusik x 2
    • 8mm Ocean Sewn Prusik
    • 10mm Ocean Sewn Prusik
    • 8mm RIT Sewn Prusik
    • 8mm HRC Hand-spliced Prusik

13. Evan Sussman

Evan Sussman Active Member

I think he didn't mean what hitch cord, but what hitch. I.e. vt, distel, etc.

14. John@TreeXP

John@TreeXP Member

VT, and I'm 6'1, 200lbs.

15. pdj317

pdj317 Active Member

I was climbing the other day on All gear Rocket with a 8mm Oceans eye to eye 5/1 Michocan ran very smooth.(probably 185-190 pounds all saddled up)

16. John@TreeXP

John@TreeXP Member

How long is the eyetoeye? I'm finding
    the 30" is too long.

17. pdj317

pdj317 Active Member

28" works for me

18. moss

moss Well-Known Member

VT is better for DdRT, not so good with the Rope Wrench. You can make a 30" eye-2-work, it's a matter finding the right number of coils etc. Try the Michoan, Cooper's Hitch, others will have more hitches to suggest. Keep fiddling with the hitch configuration, you'll get it.
    -AJ

John@TreeXP likes this.
  19. WaitakKauri

WaitakKauri Well-Known Member

I'm 6'2, 185lbs/80kg without gear climbing on 11mm Yale Kernmantle. I'd try the michoacan with 5 wraps with 10mm. Works great for me with 10mm beeline doublefishermans 27" eye to eye. It's really compact so I suspect it'd still be good for you with longer legs.

20. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

Climbing SRT, you probably don't have to worry about termination knots interfering with your climbing system the way you do climbing DdRT. Learning to tie the double fisherman's knot, I think it's called, would allow you to buy the unspliced hitch cord much more cheaply than paying for spliced eyes every time. It also allows you to adjust the length of the working part of your hitch cord to exactly the length you want. Go on one of the online climbing gear retailer's websites and look at how cheap the hitch cord is per foot, to see the difference it will make to your wallet.

The next step, (which I haven't taken myself yet) is to learn to splice your own cordage. There's a whole section of this forum devoted to that stuff.

Tim

Tom Lynch, Dave Rohach and Brocky like this.