a longer strech while footlocking

peder-d

I am trying to get a longer "strech" when I footlock. my speed is ok and my grip is fine, but I would.like to get.my feet higher up.each time.
I am practicing to lean back a little extra, to be able to.get my feet higher up, but does.anyone know of a good way to.practice it ?
maybe a cool training video ? :)

whiz

A lot of the faster cats I know are only leaning back (almost inverting) for the first lock...then they're keeping the line very close to their chests and only lifting their knees to a 'squat' position then loading their quads after a firm lock. Now dig this. I know it seems like a longer stretch would mean faster times but maybe not so, Green Hornet. The 'transition' is critical as well. When you reach max stretch, your hands snap closed on the legs of line, your feet point down and your knees come up...in that order...but in a blurred manner. snapsnapsnap! Almost faster than you can say it. The fastest time I've ever seen was almost boring because it was so devoid of unecessary motion but I've also seen some very fast times from people really loading up their muscles. Many of the martial arts encourage relaxation and breathing and discourage the loading of unnecessary muscle groups. Everything moves forward and never draws back before delivering. The target is, after all, in front of you so don't move your fist backward first. Translated to secured footlock, think of a side view of someone doing it. If they put their feet really close to their hands, does their trunk weight not 'fall off'? It almost goes backward which means they THEN have to move all their trunk weight up again. Now do that 11 or 12 times or however many locks you've counted out. That's a LOT of back and forth brah. If you're chest is close to the line and your feet don't come up any higher than your crotch...that may be the answer. Everything moves up and does NOT stop. Are you in, say, the 18-20 second zone? Just asking cuz that's reasonably fast. Go get 'em!

peder-d

Hey Whiz.
Thanks for your ideas. I have really experimented with the different kinds of "styles". It seems to work for me, that the higher I get my feet up, the more reliable me feet grib, and the faster I get. Preferably by "squatting" and not leaning away from the rope to much. Hope that made sense !? ;-)
I seeme to lean back a litlle too much (compared to Kilpatrick), so I think I will focus on keeping my crotch closer to the rope.

This weekend I did a 17,48 sec footlock at the national masters. I was very pleased with that time, but it would be nice to speed et up a litle bit more :) If I look at my video, I think I can strech a bit more on the top half.
What do you think?

http://youtu.be/u-3nLOrkUD8?hd=1

oceans

Based on your video, I'd say...very nice footlock!

My opinion is that I think you could cut out at least one lock cycle by focusing on getting your arms straighter (reaching higher) after each 'stand'. If you got 6" more on each cycle, that's 3' after 6 locks.

Keep it up!

peder-d

Cool. Great advice :)
I would like to be able to "curl" me legs up a bit more to get the them higher before I grab the rope, if that makes sense.....
Maybe I should have done some stretching exercises 12 years ago? ;-)

allmark

I've been doing these lately...but going fast and trying for a tight crunch....Ill let you know how it works after the next comp:)

By watching your video It looks like you could stretch more with the upper body. maybe try just hanging while doing controlled breathing to stretch the muscles some.

Of course by no means am I an expert just giving a couple thoughts.

Hulk

Hey Whiz.
Thanks for your ideas. I have really experimented with the different kinds of "styles". It seems to work for me, that the higher I get my feet up, the more reliable me feet grib, and the faster I get. Preferably by "squatting" and not leaning away from the rope to much. Hope that made sense !? ;-)
I seeme to lean back a litlle too much (compared to Kilpatrick), so I think I will focus on keeping my crotch closer to the rope.

This weekend I did a 17,48 sec footlock at the national masters. I was very pleased with that time, but it would be nice to speed et up a litle bit more :) If I look at my video, I think I can strech a bit more on the top half.
What do you think?

Good stuff

TimBr

A lot of the faster cats I know are only leaning back (almost inverting) for the first lock...then they're keeping the line very close to their chests and only lifting their knees to a 'squat' position then loading their quads after a firm lock. Now dig this. I know it seems like a longer stretch would mean faster times but maybe not so, Green Hornet. The 'transition' is critical as well. When you reach max stretch, your hands snap closed on the legs of line, your feet point down and your knees come up...in that order...but in a blurred manner. snapsnapsnap! Almost faster than you can say it. The fastest time I've ever seen was almost boring because it was so devoid of unecessary motion but I've also seen some very fast times from people really loading up their muscles. Many of the martial arts encourage relaxation and breathing and discourage the loading of unnecessary muscle groups. Everything moves forward and never draws back before delivering. The target is, after all, in front of you so don't move your fist backward first. Translated to secured footlock, think of a side view of someone doing it. If they put their feet really close to their hands, does their trunk weight not 'fall off'? It almost goes backward which means they THEN have to move all their trunk weight up again. Now do that 11 or 12 times or however many locks you've counted out. That's a LOT of back and forth brah. If you're chest is close to the line and your feet don't come up any higher than your crotch...that may be the answer. Everything moves up and does NOT stop. Are you in, say, the 18-20 second zone? Just asking cuz that's reasonably fast. Go get 'em!
I know this is a really old post, but it's the first time I've come across it. Man, what a great dissertation on the secured footlock technique!

I have not yet really tried to play with this technique, but this post makes me want to, just for fun, to see how hard it would be to learn it. It would be another nice trick to have in the bag, so this post is much appreciated. So, Whiz, if you are still around, thanks a bunch!

Tim