$800 to spend - tell me what to buy!

Kris Fugate

So I do tree work on the side now since I stopped climbing full time and got into working for the power company.

I have an Echo 355 and love it. Well worth the money and almost the same quality as a 201 for half the money.

Problem is I don’t have a ground saw. Nothing else but my climbing saw. As you can imagine this is not ideal when needing to cut chunks and stumps. So I need to invents in a ground saw.

Now I need something that will be able to handle the majority of my ground work and flush cuts as well as something that isn’t going to kill me if I have to cut big wood in the tree. Because I’ve had good success with Echo I’m considering getting on of their bigger saws, 620 or the 680. My budget is $800 so if I went with Stihl my best option would be the 362. The 362 has a 59cc engine whereas the Echo 620 has a 59.8 and the 680 has a 66.8.

What are yalls thoughts? I’ve used all the big saws stihl offers and they are all great. The 362 has been a favorite of mine in the past just because it’s not terribly heavy. Anyone have experience with Echo’s bigger saws?

Thanks for the feedback gents.

monkeylove

For $400 bucks I would just get the CS590. It is a little heavy in the tree at times but you will still have $400 bucks leftover to buy more stuff. Like all new saws they prosper from some tweaking after you burn a few tanks through them.

Jehinten

Its not on your list, but a MS391 is not a bad saw. I bought one for firewood before getting into tree work about 8 years ago and that saw is still running strong without having any major work done to it. The only repair besides tune ups was replacing the chain tensioner (had a burr on the threads when new, covered under warranty) and replacing the plastic cover over the clutch. I typically run a 20" bar on it, but it will run a 28" when it needs to. I paid around $600 for it and it has 64.1cc

Z'sTrees

Echo 620 looks really nice. Comparable to the 562xp/ms362 but about $200 less. My most used rear handle is a 562 with a 24" bar but I would strongly consider the echo if I were to do it all over again.
It's set up like the 355t, they almost want you to mod it. So easy.

Kris Fugate

For $400 bucks I would just get the CS590. It is a little heavy in the tree at times but you will still have $400 bucks leftover to buy more stuff. Like all new saws they prosper from some tweaking after you burn a few tanks through them.
It’s featured as a farm and ranch saw. You think it would hold up?

monkeylove

I think so. I haven't had any problems with any of the 5 Echo saws I own. Don't get wrong I got 5 Stihl saws also and if I used them everyday, all day then the weight of the Echo might be a factor. Well all but the 2251T, that thing is crazy light and really angry after some mod work.

Kris Fugate

Its not on your list, but a MS391 is not a bad saw. I bought one for firewood before getting into tree work about 8 years ago and that saw is still running strong without having any major work done to it. The only repair besides tune ups was replacing the chain tensioner (had a burr on the threads when new, covered under warranty) and replacing the plastic cover over the clutch. I typically run a 20" bar on it, but it will run a 28" when it needs to. I paid around $600 for it and it has 64.1cc
How does the 391 compare to the 362? The 91 is cheaper with more power but also advertised as a farm and ranch. Would that do better than the 62 for tree work? Again, not using it everyday but probably a job a week or so.

Jehinten

I haven't used a 362, so I cannot judge that. But I've had no regrets with mine. As I said I bought it primarily for firewood and then it moved into doing tree work with me. Without looking at the specs I suspect the 391 will be heavier. You'll want to look at how often you will have it in the tree and if the weight savings will make a difference.

RyTheTreeGuy

I second the 562...If not that then the 550 with muffler mod will give you close to the output of a 60 cc saw but also amazingly light climbing saw with a ripping .325 and rev boost

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
You fucking arborists and your infatuation with Stihl.
Husky 562XP. 59 cc’s of angry ass-whoop. Nuff’ said.
Ha Ha.... YOLO I can only deal with Stihl as the husky dealer here sucks wads....so I dodge all Stihl junk, the above saws are good ones. Lol Eric.

Last edited:

Rob Stafari

I'm not brand prejudice. I have Stihls, huskies, and makitas(dolmars). I like them all, but the makitas are my number one go to saw unless I'm leaving the ground or tackling some really big wood. If I were getting just one big saw to do side work a used 6400, 6401, 6421 for the right price would be it for sure. Make sure its running right then upgrade to the 7910 top end. Or just go new, make sure it is running right and upgrade later. Good power/torque even with the smaller top end. Smooth antivibe, and the most reliable starters I have. They never cease to amaze all the people who've drunk the stihlaid. There's a lot of them, without a doubt stihl dominates the local market.

Reliable tree man

I’ve got no experience with Echo saws. 362 is a great saw. I don’t own one but have used them extensively and you won’t regret that purchase.

My setup is all Stihl: 201tcm, 261c, 461. You will notice the weight between the 362 and 261. The 261 is the way to go as far as all around brush and wood saw IMO. It’s pretty light and super powerful. It gets the most hours on it by far of all my saws.

If I were you I would get a 261c and save a few bucks. Then you could grab a 441 or 461 down the road and that would allow you to cut much bigger wood than a 362.

CRL

I recently purchased a new 362 (carburetor, not m-tronic). It pulls an 18" bar nicely. I'm pleased with it for ground work.

jmester

I would save or put up a little more money and buy a 70cc saw. 461 Stihl/372 Husky/7900makita. I feel that it will give you way more options than a 60cc saw will. From felling,bucking, stumping and in the tree. I have heard that husky has some good deals on the 372. I just search the makita 7900 and it was a little over 800. Just my 2cents