550 xp won't stay running. Has anybody had this problem

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Such' started by Big rig, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Big rig

Big rig Member

My 550 xp won't stay running in between cuts I've had the saw on the job now for about a year now.great saw I love it but out of nowhere started giving me this problem. Checked all the obvious things as far as air cleaner clogged clogged baffler screen. Being as how there's no carburetor adjustments on the saw because of the auto-tune I'm stumped on where to go. has anybody else had this issue and what was the solution. Thanks in advance

2. craneguy1

craneguy1 Well-Known Member

I believe that Ive heard of people having to reset the autotune...but im a stihl guy so not much help.

3. Big rig

Big rig Member

Well
    That's a good start thanks for the info bud

4. craneguy1

craneguy1 Well-Known Member

I think it was something like start and leave on choke for 30 seconds then rev for a minute...maybe google it?

5. monkeylove

monkeylove Well-Known Member

Don't know what conditions it is used in but you might want to make sure the spark arrest screen is not clogged. If it still has one.

6. deevo

deevo Well-Known Member

I’d b
    I would bring it in to your local Husky dealer have them plug it into their computer, can likely tell right away, I’ve had to deal with 2 piston failures on 550’s, one was covered under warranty, you won’t be in that boat, that’s exactly what my 2 were doing before the piston, rings and cylinder were done. Take the muffler off see if the pistons scored, there was a problem with the 550’s base gaskets going on them and causing piston, rings and if you were unlucky cylinder failures. I’ll try and upload a few pics of one of my blown up ones.

7. deevo

deevo Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Heavy carbon buildup also on the port side, I use ultra 94 & stihl or husky synthetic 2 stroke mix also, none of my other saws have this buildup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. deevo

deevo Well-Known Member

I sent this saw out to Nanaimo BC for a full rebuild and mods to be walkerized ! @Reg @ArborCut knows John’s work well!

9. Big rig

Big rig Member

Ahhh thanks deevo for the potential bad news! Lol only been running the saw a year if that is the case w the piston failure that will lead me to lose faith big time in newer husqvarna product. Are you familiar how long husky warranties their saws

10. Big rig

Big rig Member

Thanks for the input and advice fellas.. Is anybody familiar w the exact procedure to reset the auto tune, did some research online and came up pretty unsuccessful

11. joezilla11

joezilla11 Active Member

I think it’s something weird like 5 minutes on the trigger cutting something but I’ll have to find my manual to check for sure. I’m sure u can google it or look on arboristsite. 562 has the same procedure although the new 572 is supposed to have a much improved auto tune

12. deevo

deevo Well-Known Member

Only 90 days for commercial, I have 2 562’s and no issues what so ever it was only
    On the 550’s this problem was with unfortunately, I’d definitely take it in though for a diagnostic test.

13. rico

rico Well-Known Member

What I do with a saw that is not workin properly is chuck it out of the tree and buy a new one. Works like a champ every time.

Seriously though anyone running an 550 xp ofr 562 xp should be cleaning their air filters early and often. If not you will have an very unhappy saw, very quickly.

deevo likes this.
  14. Big rig

Big rig Member

That's always the easiest open lol... yeah always had kept up on me maintenance they just don't make s*** to last no more

15. rico

rico Well-Known Member

They definitely don’t build them to last these day, but I have to say that my dailed in 550xp and 562xp are the 2 best climbing saws I have ever run in my life. Stunning performers!

chiselbit likes this.
  16. Big rig

Big rig Member

Id second that. I feel like I'm cutting with a light saver!!... notice how the Pacific northwest guys refer to 20 -25 inch saws as "climbing saws", love it much respect!

17. deevo

deevo Well-Known Member

My blown up 550 is currently at walkers saw shop in Nanaimo BC up river from ya to see if they can put a new piston and cylinder in it & walkerize it! Hoping they can because they can create some great saws there! My other rebuilt 550 is still ripping through the wood quite handily!

18. chiselbit

chiselbit Well-Known Member

I second that. Been doing medium large pine removals with crane for last 3 days and I’ve been using a 562 with an Oregon lightweight 32” bar for the bottom 2/3’s. Love how light it is.

deevo likes this.