462?

Talon Tree Service

My 661 is toasted, worn out. The longest bar I run on it is a 32” but I use a 25-28” 90% of the time. I plan on rebuilding it eventually once I get some free time.
My question is for the 462 owners or users, how does the 462 compare with the 661, 461 and 441? I have a 661 and a 461 so I can compare to those. The 441s are going at blow out prices since they’re being discontinued but I’ve heard they’re weaker than the 461 and I’m looking for at least an equal in power to my 461.

Crimsonking

I’ve enjoyed running the 462; used it to block down a 2’ diameter ash. It had a 28” bar, and performed very well. The perk over the 461 is weight. Otherwise it seemed pretty much the same.

Barc Buster

Buy another 661. It is a way more versitile saw. Power to weight ratio. You have a 70cc saw in the 461 already.
Gotta agree. To me when I put some time on the 462 it felt like it could wear a 24/25 inch bar happily all day. Similar power to a 461 but much lighter. Buy another 661 no replacement for displacement. Or better yet buy both.

Bango Skank

I was at the saw shop yesterday, there was only a 130$ difference between the 461 (they didn't have a 462), and the 661. Thought it would've been a greater difference.

Talon Tree Service

Well I went to my saw shop and priced out a rebuild from crank up on my 661. Yowza, $845 for parts from stihl. I don’t know the shape of the crank, only that the piston and cylinder have had it, saw is 3 years old run daily until I got my 461 that I use now to cut most timber and the 661 is more of a backup. (I cut timber for loggers while my tree biz gets busier)
So, has anyone tried aftermarket piston and cylinder kits that were decent quality?

On a side note they offered me a 462 with 2 chains and 25” for $1050 out the door price

Barc Buster

It kind of seems like you want the 462. I could probably swing a deal at my shop for a 661 and 2 chains for about 100 more than that. Seems like a no brainer to me and I really like the 462. But I'm not you bud go with your gut. I think the 461 will handle a longer bar better than the 462.

Talon Tree Service

I bit the bullet and bought both, 462 was $1050 and the 661 was $1425. 25” on the 46 and 28” on the 66. My motto is never feel bad for buying tools.
I do wish I could’ve landed the 661 for 100 more like you guys have mentioned.
I’ve always heard I get good deals for my saws around here from fellow tree biz owners who’ve bought the same saws.

Barc Buster

@swingdude I posted this up in another thread. This is the pin bud. Just tap it in flush with the oiler. I used a pin punch and hammer. A drill bit would probably work in a pinch.IMG_20190501_124617.jpg