24 strand Ring & Ring Friction Saver Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'The Splice Rack' started by scrat, Oct 31, 2012.

1. scrat

scrat Member

Ok so on a long swing during a removal I put my spur right through my 200' Imori climb line right at 47'. needless to say that having completely cut through a number strands I opted to cut the rope and splice a new eye and now have another 150' climbing line and a nice new 47' hank to use or throw away. My question is do any of you use 24 strand Rope rather than 16 strand to make R&R Friction Savers and or have any pros or cons in your opinoin? Your input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I have made a few and they work fine. To take it easy on myself I made them a bit longer to as to have plenty of room for the second bury. In fact I made a real long one that I use with a ring and prussic for an adjustable.

The stiffness of the throat works well in retrieval. I have had no abrasion problems since they don't generate much friction sliding around during the climb.

The long eye by the big ring is because I occasionally use it as a base anchor.

Seems like a good use to me.

Tony [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. scrat

scrat Member

Tony
    THX! My intent was to make one longer than the 6' I have which was actually a bit short (by a few feet)on a recent job working down a large spar. I also have a set of steel rings sitting around begging to be used. Is there a reason you didnt whip/lock stitch or are the photos from a work in progress?
  4. Adam_P

Adam_P Member

Glad to see you post, Todd. It means you're still alive. :)

My working ring/ring is velocity and I have no complaints at all. I don't enjoy splicing 16 strand and don't have much around the garage anymore. So, 24 strand it is!
  5. scrat

scrat Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Glad to see you post, Todd. It means you're still alive. :)

My working ring/ring is velocity and I have no complaints at all. I don't enjoy splicing 16 strand and don't have much around the garage anymore. So, 24 strand it is!

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam
    It is nice to know you care what side of the dirt I woke up on today ;-p

Yeh I dont have any 16 strand lying around, although that is what I used previously to make my adjustable R&R friction savers. I was not particularly fond of how I made the 24 strand available. But wanted to put it to good use as it saw minimal climb time being new.
  6. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Scratch,

They are locked stitched. I just keep it hidden. More class that way and conforms to rule number one of the three rules.

Always look cool!

Tony
  7. NickfromWI

NickfromWI Active Member

scrat- I've made many 24 strand RING/ring friction savers. They finish up real nice. But personally I like the sixteen strand because I can make it thicker than it typically would be so that it is stiffer and less likely to get hung up on the decent.

But yeah, you can do it fo sho.

love
    nick
  8. scrat

scrat Member

Thanks Nick you input is always greatly valued!

So everyone what is your opinions of the fact that your R&R would be same rope/same color as your climbing rope. My rope/lanyard/R&R/ and rigging lines have always been different ropes and colors intentionally. For example if your R&R and climb line were the same and you were working down a spar do you think there is a higher potential for a mistake?
  9. NickfromWI

NickfromWI Active Member

I try to keep 'em separated.
  10. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

I'll try to throw out some pros & cons that come to mind...

24 Strand
    Pros:
    -like Tony said, it looks cool
    -smooth jacket for cambium
    -more supple, easier to coil & stow on saddle?
    -tighter weave can make keep larger "crud" from working in over time
    Cons:
    -tricker splice especially on shorter length
    -smooth jacket may not hold a prusik as well as 16 S when used in adjustable fashion
    -core left in eye when splice is finished which adds to the material inside the ring (which could be a pro in some situations)

16 Strand
    Pros:
    -looks cool, especially if you have tactical black rope! [​IMG] (right Jay?)
    -heavier jacket weave may hold a prusik well when used in nadjustable fashion
    -no core in eye which can make for more room inside the ring (again, could be a con for some)
    -fairly easy splice
    -you could even undo the splice if you wanted to modify it...
    Cons:
    -requires A LOT more rope to build with such a long bury
  11. Adam_P

Adam_P Member

Nice breakdown, Eric!

Todd, I keep mine separate colors also. My imori is green so if yours is orange you should send it to me just to be safe. [​IMG]

Seriously though, I do keep them separate colors but I wouldn't hesitate to use one the same color if that's what I had. I prefer to have two different color alum rings most. I use a larger green dmm for a big ring and the yellow petzl as a small. Helps me remember to thread my line correctly. Not that I've ever done it backwards or anything....
  12. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    keep 'em separated.

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG] ain't that a song lyric!

I'm with you scrat. All things being equal, different colors would be preferable. You can always put some webbing around it.

I think it would be more of a concern if it were a lanyard. At least you friction saver and climbing line are of the same system.

Tony
  13. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

I like midline attach ability more and more , which makes an eye2eye, 2 biners, and a Wichard snap on a short tether the most useful tool I can think of. It's way, you don't need a retrieval ball, just a splice. That keeps the possibility of friction lock and what not to a minimum, or negates it entirely.
  14. evo

evo Member

right now i'm using 1/2" stablebraid for a fs. I spliced a single eye large enough to girth a large ring to tied a stopper on the tail and only use an adjustable prussic for the small ring. There are times where I use a large steel biner insted of the large ring. Having a large eye where I can swap out the ring with a biner is pretty handy when hanging the fs from a crotch vs choked to a stem. Also with an adjustable fs having a small ring spliced on the end seems a little redundant when you can just use a stopper knot in it's place.
  15. scrat

scrat Member

Like the thought on the swap out of ring for biner I guess if on a spar you have side load potential