2016 srtwp redirects

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by Jeff_Cochran, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Crimsonking

Crimsonking Well-Known Member

I worked out a concept similar to Richard's ring-n-biner, using just a quickie instead. Open the quickie, put the line in, then install and retrieve the same way you would Richard's.

It allows for using RW and RR more easily by skipping any gear breakdown during installation due to the slick pin opening.

I like this option for the fewer steps and less gear, albeit heavier. Just a quickie on the saddle becomes an all inclusive retrievable redirect.

Good tool, @treebing.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. Mark Chisholm

Mark Chisholm Administrator

I've been using a quickie for a girth hitch style redirect as well. I'll try this one and see. Thanks fellas!

3. jmcscrap

jmcscrap Active Member

Picture or link to video? Thanks!

Mark Chisholm likes this.
  4. FreeFallin

FreeFallin Well-Known Member

Man, glad you bumped this post Mark, I must have missed it when I did a full site read through last year.
    I have something new. I started working with Richards On Bight several months ago and made a lot of advances and simplifications that play really well with the Akimbo and likely the other newer mechanicals like the BdB.
    Still vetting and making a video but should have something to show and tell shortly.

JeffGu, Mark Chisholm, TimBr and 2 others like this.
  5. FreeFallin

Haven't forgotten about this, finally have enough testing and simplification done to share - http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/scam-3-1-ma-and-remotely-retrievable-redirect.36715/

TimBr likes this.
  6. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

7. FreeFallin

Thanks Richard! I don' think I came across this video in my research but I watched a lot so it's possible.

This is similar to what I am doing with the SCAM, but with a couple of distinct differences that jump out at me.

First, in my version only the rope bight passes over the redirect so that on removal there is no hardware to pass through the crotch, this could be an advantage in some situations.

Also my system does not cinch onto the branch, it is a separate knot (a munter hitch with an additional 1/2 wrap) that places the carabiner in a fixed position on the rope. This avoids hardware contact with the branch which can lead to additional rope abrasion where it gets pinned, abrasion of the hardware on the tree itself, and potentially side loading or bend loading the hardware against the limb.

My system also has reduced friction options to improve the efficiency of the MA by using a roller carabiner.

I don't think these are major concerns, and Benjamin's design is brilliant, but I do see improvement in my design for some situations.

Acerxharlowii likes this.
  8. yoyoman

9. yoyoman

Yep, the munter method works too.

Here is the over view.

10. FreeFallin

Richard, I am trying to understand what you are saying here and don't want to jump to any conclusions. I have a ton of respect for you and the way you contribute.

Did you watch my videos? I am asking because you just posted the exact video of yours that I show a clip of in my video as the inspiration. Also the exact video that I posted a link to in the description on Youtube.

I can't tell if you are saying that the SCAM 3:1 is the same as girth hitching an aluminum ring for 3:1, or if making a redirect out of that system is the same as the On Bight? I need more info to see what you are saying.

Also be warned, I just filed for a patent on tying a rope around a carabiner :risas2:

Seriously though, I have no interest in starting any misunderstanding about the innovations I am presenting now based on things you have presented before. I obviously think you are a rope physics rockstar.

SomethingWitty likes this.
  11. yoyoman

@FreeFallin
    no it's all good I think we're talking about the same thing and I appreciate seeing the variations and your excellent video I know how much work those are to put out. I think it has been a while since I've been on and forgot what we had talked about before. anyway great job keep up the good work thanks

FreeFallin likes this.
  12. FreeFallin

Thank you, appreciate the feedback!

yoyoman likes this.
  13. southsoundtree

southsoundtree Well-Known Member

Thanks, Fellers! This is cool stuff.

14. goodaking

goodaking Active Member

Testing out the scam with a pulley. Not sure about the first one as it may have the ability to side load the biner . Second picture is an alternative to reduce friction

Attached Files:

15. goodaking

goodaking Active Member

I have the picture uploaded out of order in what I was describing

16. goodaking

goodaking Active Member

Second picture is better alternative

17. FreeFallin

Thanks for testing this out, I could be wrong but on first look -

The first picture will work, but has a little more setup, and will no longer tend your runner for you.

The second is no longer remotely retrievable, you would need to climb back up to it to get your gear back.

There is an ongoing discussion on page 4 here -http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/scam-3-1-ma-and-remotely-retrievable-redirect.36715/page-4 about multiple configurations of a SCAM to reduce friction, if you have time they might be worth testing with the runner.

18. Jeff_Cochran

Jeff_Cochran Well-Known Member

This has went freaking epic since the last time i visited the buzz! Great freaking info guys! thank you

SomethingWitty and FreeFallin like this.
  19. goodaking

goodaking Active Member

Second pic is retrievable . The night goes through the pinto pulley. The risk of side loading the carabiner is there

20. FreeFallin

Now I see the second line, the angle had it hidden, that would actually retrieve. the pinto is a little tight, do you notice any friction from the bight rubbing together?