2016 srtwp redirects

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by Jeff_Cochran, Jan 4, 2016.

1. treebing

treebing Well-Known Member

Throw line is no fun dangling for a release line if you plan on doing any cutting or moving. I dread even climbing while there is a throw line stuck or.something. and getting

yoyoman, NE Tree and moss like this.
  2. Worthaug

Worthaug Well-Known Member

Reep Schnur, almost as cheap as throw line...

Reed Wortley
    ISA CA# SO-6953A
    CTSP # 01739

TimBr likes this.
  3. Steve Connally

Steve Connally Well-Known Member

Damn that's dedication. A climbing video while on the crapper. Thanks for not panning down on the video Richard.

4. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

What kind of bone was that?

5. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Don't ask.

TimBr likes this.
  6. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

I'll look forward to that. I'm not against a remote release redirect but I'll also hold them to the same life support standard I would use on any anchor. That my be too much for many that would only amount to a small swing etc so I also acknowledge there is lots of judgment and latitude.
    I would ask myself if this would be satisfactory for a stand alone anchor. Does the orientation of the clove hitch effect it's security? How does it fail, rope strength, pull tests etc? What are possible errors in trying it? I look forward adding it to the tool box.

TimBr likes this.
  7. treebing

You can orient the clove wrong. When you go to release, it will pull only one loop off the clove, leaving a Half hitch which seems like you could climb on too because for the life of me I can't pull it out. With the clove hitch the right way you end up pulling off both parts of the clove.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  8. yoyoman

Another thing I don't know, (among so many, I know) is what is the ultimate effect, strength, slip and security is when a knot is compromised with a pin or biner passing thru it.

moss likes this.
  9. moss

moss Well-Known Member

I came up with a routine for tying the midline Clove Hitch it so it's tied and oriented properly every time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    stevoflint and Treezybreez like this.
  10. moss

moss Well-Known Member

On the paddlesticks I've making it's all good, the radiuses (radii?) around the pin are excellent. The Quickie or carbiner release on the Clove Hitch crossover is harmless, there is practically no rope bend there. The Clove Hitch doesn't seem to care that the release is there, it grabs hard. I did some tests slacking the line and partially releasing the Clove Hitch down the bight, it still grabbed hard when reloaded even though the hitch was opened up quite a bit. Not what I'd want to climb on but it was good to see the behavior. If the bight was made say 2 feet long you've got a lot of forgiveness for partially releasing and reloading the Clove Hitch. But again an SRT climber always has to be monitoring their redirects and overall system. Anytime I make a big move on a redirected rope I load it up and do a quick visual check back through, even if they're natural redirects, I like to see how the tree parts are behaving under load. With remote redirects and anchors I think it's mandatory to do that check, even if you can't see everything you're doing a quick load test to verify everything is solid before continuing. Not to over do it here but anytime a climber slacks their system no matter what they're climbing on they should load it up first before committing to their next move.
    -AJ

JeffGu, TimBr, 123Craig and 1 other person like this.
  11. surveyor

surveyor Well-Known Member

Do you think a revolver biner would ease the release, by torquing the clove knot open because of the nose shape at the sheave end, and rolling when pulled to release.

TimBr and treebing like this.
  12. treebing

It could, the rolling action of the slic pin helps I think. I have done it sucessfully with just the rope though as well.

yoyoman and TimBr like this.
  13. yoyoman

Again as I look at this from a life support perspective I have questions. If not, I find this brilliant and very useful in many situations.
    Appears the clove amounts to a two wrap prusik on the bight, which if pulled out releases the redirect.
    IMG_20160813_092327.jpg

14. Kris Fugate

Kris Fugate Member

Sorry I'm late to the party but how do you unhook the revolver from a distance to make this retrievable? Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. John_KAYS

John_KAYS Well-Known Member

You pull the bight to you and then unclip the revolver.

Kris Fugate, jmaher and Worthaug like this.
  16. Kris Fugate

Kris Fugate Member

(Duh) I can easily see that now. Thanks brother. I like this redi a lot and seems easy to setup and retrieve compared to some of the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. John_KAYS

John_KAYS Well-Known Member

I've been there...It's like one of those optical illusions where you can only see it the one way, until you see what's really there and then it is so obvious. And yeah, this is a great redirect technique to have in your box o' tools.
    Like, look at these shiny legs!

upload_2016-12-15_8-54-45.png

or is it paint?:sorprendido3:

JeffGu likes this.
  18. Kris Fugate

Kris Fugate Member

D

Is that the ART snake tail?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Mark Chisholm

Mark Chisholm Administrator

Any new ones being used since January?

20. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Nothing new, here, but I finally got around to trying Richard's ring-and-accessory-biner that's not quite on a bight redirect... and I really like that one. Tried it with both an aluminum and a steel ring. I see why he went with the aluminum one. Steel one comes down a lot faster on a more horizontal rope, but if it's anywhere near vertical that puppy will hurt when it hits you.

I'm talking about the one that allows you to use the full tail length. Don't know if he gave it a name, or not. Having the retrieval line on the end of the climbing rope (when needed) doesn't bother me. I put one on there for installing my canopy anchor, anyway, so leaving it on there if I think I'll need it is okay by me.

It's a really slick redirect, using simple stuff everybody probably already has. Thanks, @yoyoman for another great trick!